Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an H21 SE hull # 401 and mostly use it for recreational sailing. It is time to spend money on rudders as mine are splitting and delaminating and I feel I can no longer continue to patch them up.

When looking in Hobie catalog, I see that the H21 SE and H18 use the same upper and lower rudder castings so the rudders must be very similar. I imagine that they are the same thickness and width but possibly different in length. Does anyone know for sure?

The H21 SE part number is 30490001 and is priced at $346 while the H18 rudders are $132 for white nylon and $220 and $250 for white or carbon EPO rudders. Quite a difference in price for a recreational sailor that is retired and looking at costs. I guess at either price it beats buying gasoline for a swith to power boating.

I would appreciate comments as to whether the H18 blades will do Ok on a H21 and what issues I might be facing. Thanks.....

"If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane", J. Buffett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

If you do not fly a chute... no problem get the glass EPO2 blades for your 21SE.

The original 21 glass blades are larger for the extra loads caused by the huge chutes they use to use.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, thanks for the prompt and informative reply. Now I guess the next decision is white or carbon. Is there any real difference between the two other than color? I guess life span would be the most important thing I am interested in. My H21 lives on a roller system for ease of launch and retrieval and my property has Southern exposure so the blades are pretty much in the sun all day.

Thanks again.

"If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane", J. Buffett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for the carbon. It's $20 more, and they look so nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

White and carbon have virtually the same performance. The white will wear better in the sun. You would want to keep the carbons covered.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So... What to do if you are going to fly a chute? Does anyone know where I could get a replacement set of the longer Hobie 21SE rudders?

even the HOBIE EPO-3 RUDDER BLADE is only advertised for up to H20.

What are my options?

Foster, OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hand made my new rudders some 10 years ago and they still look and function just fine. It was a fun winter project that was fairly easy to do. My only regret, was that I should have two sets because of all the time it took to finish with fiberglass and paint. I would paint one side of each in 2 minute and have to wait a day to sand and repaint. Making two sets would have only required maybe another 20% in effort concerning all the cleanup.....Hind sight is 20/20...oh, they do weigh 2oz. more than the originals...my bad :lol:

I did mill out some Teflon sleeves that I epoxied into the mahogany wood I used as a bearing for the bolt to pass through. No slop at all.

The original rudder was used as a template, cut out with my jig saw, routed with a bull nose and sharp bit and than hand rasped with my buddy's grandfather large rasp. This process to all of an hour per rudder blade. It was unreal just how fast a good rasp took a flat piece of wood and shaped it to the routed edge....... :D

The only barrier that clouds our ability to made something ourselves is our own limits we place in front ourselves...........

That is one strong quality that my son has shown me time and time again. I have watched him take on very difficult auto repairs without any training and though his determination he finished what he started....I know that somethings I can't do. He, on the other hand, doesn't erect that "I can't do it attitude" and just process to do it........ I am always amazed by him.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bill - I saw your rudders - they are pretty sweet! You did a really professional job on them! I'm pretty sure I don't have your skills though... So, what is out there commercially available? That's my question for the forum...

Foster, OH