Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you folks tie off your jib halyard?
I have to pull up the jib and zip, then untie the halyard, run through the block on the remaining halyard, then tie to the clevis while maintaining pressure to keep the jib tight.
I use the line lock at the bottom of the sail, to help when I tie, but it is not ideal. At the end of the day, I have to try to dig my knot out of the clevis.
I get a bit of wrinkle by the end of the day, and I would rather not have this on the new sails.
What is the best way to do this?

Another question came up when I asked how to align the rudders. Matt said the same as my 16. Trouble is, on my 21 the hulls lean a fair bit, so the bottoms of the rudders are further apart than the tops. Do your hulls lean? Do I have a crossbar issue? To picture this (I will add a picture tomorrow) imagine that with one hull just flying, the leeward hull would be vertical in the water. The hulls do lean the same amount and look normal to me...

I know that water in the hulls is covered elsewhere, but where are the normal trouble spots with the 21? I left it in the water overnight with no problem, but sailing in 15 to 20 knots all day with modest waves and flying a hull much of the day, I had gallons in each hull. I do know that if I fill the wing sockets with water, two of them will slowly drain into the hull and empty after several hours. I doubt I could get much water that way. I have new hatch gaskets and items left under the hatches stay dry.

Thanks for any input!

-Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Jib Halyard: Use a short piece of 1/8" line lied to the tack shackle (spec is 5' 6" on a Hobie 18 / basically the same system). Run up to the halyard wire and back down to the jib cleat (you get 2:1 purchase on the halyard wire). Use a couple of half hitches to lock. Then the halyard can be slack and untie and stow... then zip the 1/8" line up in the jib luff. Be sure the properly tension the luff while the main sail is sheeted hard enough to pull the forestay tight. Page 14 and 15 of the assembly manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/21SE_Manual.pdf

Rudder alignment: Rudder toe-in is measured for and aft at the same vertical level, so vertical alignment of the rudders is not an issue. Get close to equal but 1/8" toe-in or more is best due to slop in rudder systems. Toe-out is not good.

Leaks: Wing sockets. You can fill with water and see if they drain into the hulls.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)