Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapeze wire length
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First time posting on the forum after many years of browsing and learning.
Setting up trapeze systems on a hobie 21 sc. Cannot find online how long the trapeze wires are supposed to be can anyone help me with the lengths.
The wings have been removed for racing so don't know if this would affect the standard lengths
Thanks
Thomas

Post subject: Re: Trapeze wire length
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Running trap without the wings will for sure change things - but since the 21SC and H18 use the same rigging just buy a set of 18 Trap wires and they'll be the correct length (19' long)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in Barbados so it's not that easy as just buying a set of wires...so we are making them from scratch. We have two 21s and are going to race one with wings and one without to see the performance difference and go from there. Because of the ocean condition we have here and our race takes us up the south coast(big waves and 18-25 kt winds) I was finding the wings were burying in the swells and causing problems. Will see how it works and report back here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok so we raced today. The class was small with two 21sc and a prindle 19. The boat with the wings and trapeze won but only due to a bad call by me on a gybe early on in the race and was playing catch up for the rest of the course. We would have eventually caught them and were seconds apart at the finish. The prindle capsized and had to get outside assistance and dsq them from the race.
So what did we learn....
The boat without the wings is sailing alot faster. The winds were puffy and prob were around 25+kts on the gusts. Some were prob higher. Yesterday one boat had a gust at 39kts during a race.
I cut the first set of trial trap lines at 16'4"..way too short. Went back and cut another set at 17' 6"..still too short. I think just over 18' is going to be the right length.
Another race has been setup for next week so we will see if we can do better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would think sail condition and skipper skills would make a bigger difference than having th wings on. Especially in 25kt plus breeze. Maybe in light air the added weight would matter more.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1984 H18. No wings. My new trap wires are 18’10” (approx. Measured while strapped to mast). I use micro adjustment system for crew wires. I have no room to adjust up. 19’ are too long. I’ll bet they would be correct for an SX with wings. Next season I’ll measure the handle-to-deck height. I really am not sure what that dimension should be, but guess 32”. Any one have advice here?