Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone found a good fix for hull sleeves coming loose? Is the only thing that keeps the hull sleeve in place the 1/4 SS screw that is visible on the out side of each hull at the base of the sleeve/cross bar?

At one end of my rear cross bar the screw will not tighten and this is the sleeve that has some movement (as well as some creaking going on). It seems like the threads have stripped out in whatever the 1/4" stainless steel screw threads into I'm thinking about trying to tap that our to 5/16", I'm thinking it must be cast aluminum.

Looking forward to ANY information on this area of an 21SE.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 am 
Site Admin

There was a screw added that helped prevent this. Threaded in from the rail as I recall. Your boat 0008 would not have that I'd guess. The screw went into the aluminum bar outboard of the sleeve. As I recall the bar was like a T on the outer end and glass rope strapped it to the hull.

Fix? That I don't know.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the quick reply! From what you are saying I have a bad feeling that I have lost the bond between the glass rope and my sleeve. I'm thinking after the hulls are put together there is no good way to get at that. You don't happen to know how the aluminum bar is fastened to the sleeve? I don't see any signs of rivets on the inside of the sleeve. I don't have not taken my boat apart yet, but had a friend send some pictures of a 21se hull that he has taken apart. I think the only person that would know how the sleeve is held in place is somebody that was involved in the construction/joining the top and bottom of the hulls.

Do you think the sleeve was attached with glass rope (much like the side stays are attached to the inside of the hulls)?

It might time to think about adding an inspection port back in that area, I might try to get some pictures from the inside of the hull and see if I can learn anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

It was welded. I'll send a drawing that "might" help.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had my 21SE pulled apart last week and had my hand on just those parts but did not really study the way it was built.

As far as an access port location, where would you put it? I installed an access port at each wing sleeve location to repair cracked wing sleeve some 20 plus years ago without an issue. If you want to view the interior of my hulls, I could take some photos and post them for you.

I have finally taken my 21 out of storage this season and have been busy getting things ready for some fun... :P

I sure miss that air condition farm shop my boat has been enjoying this very hot summer in...with a couple of layers of fresh wax on it is ready to reassemble and go boating... :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Dirk,

Here are the pics I took of inside of the rear crossbar sleeve:

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

These pics are of Hobie 21SE #065.