Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The very top 6" of my bolt rope on my mail sail pops out of the comp tip track every time I sail. As you can see in the pics below, it stays like this until I take the sail down. I've inspected the comp tip track and found no damage. I've also tried the further back hole on the clew, but when using that I cannot latch the sail halyard on the top of the mast.

Sail is not original Hobie. Wondering if anybody else has had this problem and found a remedy. Not a serious problem, as I can still sail it, but rather more of a pain when taking the sail down.

Any ideas? Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Is that a welded shackle / ring? Get a standard ring and shackle. The welded one makes hooking easier, but with mast rotation can peel the luff out of the track. The separate ring and shackle acts more like a universal joint.

May have too much luff curve... typical if a fat head / flat head sail.

You can add a metal section of luff track too. Luff track retro kit was another solution we came up with.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, thanks for the reply. No, the halyard ring is not welded. The ring and the shackle are two different not attached parts. Are you referring to these welded Halyard Rings? Which one is better?

Interested in the luff track upgrade. Is it a metal section that replaced the top part of the comp tip luff track?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:36 am 
Site Admin

What you appear to have is best... not welded.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:38 am 
Site Admin

One thing I noticed... The knot is best facing the mast to bring the ring closer to the hook.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As some people advised me, you could add a slug to the top of the luff rope-that'll keep it from pulling free.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What if you used that other hole on that sail head plate? Would that actually keep the sail better in the track? :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, be sure to pre-roll your halyard line in such a way to twist that ring onto the hook....that what I do

.....pre-roll means that to twist that halyard clockwise many times so it tends to ride up on the hook side (right side) of your comtip thus landing right on the hook.... :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We tried using the further back hole. Can't get the halyard ring to catch on the hook. It's too far back...

Definitely will switch the knot.

I will try pre-rolling the halyard line. Haven't tried that.

How would one go about adding a slug to the bolt rope? I like that idea too.

Thanks for the ideas everybody!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never had the problem you are having...I purchase my boat new in '89....so, be careful how you modify your setup...the original setup is just fine in my book....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would just install the aluminum luff track upgrade and be done with it. Not sure if the 16 masts come with this, but all of the later 17, 18, & 20 masts have the section of aluminum track and the bolt rope popping out is not an issue. Things like twisting the halyard are meant to help get the ring to engage, but aren't going to keep the bolt rope from popping out. The problem is the plastic luff track is too flexible and spreads open under load. You need something stronger (the aluminum piece) to hold the sail in the track.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem. Top 6-10 inches of bolt rope comes out after sailing. I had a problem with being unable to release the hook to lower the sail so I had a local guy weld the shackle and halyard ring This solved the latching and releasing problem.
Over time the bolt rope problem appeared. I have a Calvert square top main which has a 2 inch plastic or fiberglass piece embedded in the top of the bolt rope (very solid) so I don't think a slug will fix the problem. Maybe it would with a traditional sail as Matt mentioned.
After reading this thread I might go to the aluminum track. I would guess that my sail track is weakening from the bolt rope popping out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The head of the sail pulls out under sail if you're not fully hoisted - all the load and purchase of the mainsheet will pull the head out of the track unless you're all the way to the top (or if you're reefed you must be in the correct section of luff that is aluminum) And now that it has pulled out the bolt rope has been crushed and will more easily pull out over and over. It needs to be beefed back up by a sail loft. To make sure you get full hoist, make sure to rig the the haylard purchase up front before you downhaul - on the 21SC it was easy to mess that up...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've never sailed without the sail hoisted to its full position and hooked at the top. The sail on a H21se is not designed to be reefed.

I'm thinking an upgraded luff track and maybe beefing up the bolt rope is my fix.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darind514 wrote:
I've never sailed without the sail hoisted to its full position and hooked at the top. The sail on a H21se is not designed to be reefed.

I'm thinking an upgraded luff track and maybe beefing up the bolt rope is my fix.

Wasn't sure, but yes - the bolt rope is now compromised - so it needs to be re-worked.