Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, I have been having a very similar problem on my 21SC. If I run with too much downhaul and not enough halyard tension the head slips below the aluminum track and the bolt rope slips out. Also, if I am hoisting or reefing on a windy day the bolt rope sometimes slips out as the head of the sail is raised in the plastic section.

I would like to over-solve this problem by:
1) having my bolt rope reinforced
2) Using the aluminum tracks to replace the plastic track between the 1st reefing point and the fully hoisted point.

So my first question: Is the aluminum track extrusion section the same for all boats? I know they are different lengths, but I don't know about the section. If they are the same section, which part number gets me the most length?
H17, 14.8" 50404111
H21SC 12.5" 50404101
The plastic track is 36" long.

My second question: Plastic tracks are soft, and so they flex nicely with the fiberglass comp tip mast. Will replacing 3' of the comp tip, for a total of 5' of adjourning aluminum track cause an issue with mast bending? Or are the aluminum tracks flexible enough to bend with the mast even when multiple sections are placed adjacent to each-other?

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At the beginning of the sailing day make sure that the main sheet is not exerting any pressure on the sail. Otherwise you will have a force that does not allow the sail to go all the way to the top of the mast. This I know is not the total answer but it will help the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk