Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Could anybody please post a picture of their front cross bar/spinnaker pole attachment fitting installed on their front crossbar? I'm trying to setup my spinnaker pole for the first time on this boat.

I've got the pole, but don't have the fitting on my crossbar. Referring to Hobie Spinnaker Kit #40998010, this attachment plate is supposed to be installed 2" below the mast step nut.

Thanks.
Hobie 21SE #005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made one out of a block of aluminum that bolts to the dolphin striker. A sailboard universal holds the pole, which is part of a broken sailboard mast. Behind that is the same thing for a righting pole. I'm sure I don't have a picture in this computer. It is a square block of aluminum with a hole drilled in it the size of the striker pole, sawn down the middle, and holes for machine screws or bolts. It's been 28 years since I made it, so don't remember all the details.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have used two methods on the 21, and a third on my Nacra.
The current setup is a bit like Tom's. I lathed a piece of solid round stock aluminum to fit inside my pole. I drilled a hole the size of the dolphin striker rod (9/16" I think) then cut the round stock in half at the center of the hole. I then drilled and threaded two cap screws to pinch the holder to the dolphin striker.
I did this to facilitate the installation of a carbon windsurf mast in place of my aluminum pole.

With the Aluminum pole I simply had cut a slot top and bottom in the pole so the dolphin striker rod could slide into the pole about two inches. I then put a pin through the back side of the pole to keep it from falling off the striker while rigging the boat.

The third way is a plate with a pin in the middle. You rivet the plate to the front of the x bar and the pole just slides onto the pin. I think the plate was about $12 at Murray's. You will have to make a plug for the end of the pole that will fit the pin. I made mine from some plastic bearing stock that I had laying around.

I will snap some pictures tomorrow when I'm at the dock.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was able to find a bracket and get it installed...

New post coming...NEED HELP RIGGING THIS THING!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

email me off line at lunnjohn 'at' magma 'dot' ca, and I'll send you a terrific PDF created by my sailing buddy David, who installed a spin on his Getaway.

Read as much as you can, and discuss it with your fellow sailors as this adds a whole new dimension to sailing.
Such as, do you put the spin halyard cleat on the front cross bar or about 48" up the mast?

You may find it useful to download the Hobie Tiger manual, go to the back where they show how to rig the spin.
Tough to get it rigged 'perfectly'.....this year, I've redone it four times before I was happy.
Now that I know it works well, can we fly!
And so will you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After Prosail ended, and 21 owners just started racing against each other in Hobie regattas, most people started using a longer spinnaker pole. I think they were about a foot longer than the stock pole, and made handling a bit easier.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After Prosail ended, and 21 owners just started racing against each other in Hobie regattas, most people started using a longer spinnaker pole. I think they were about a foot longer than the stock pole, and made handling the spinnaker a bit easier.