Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roller Furling Spinnaker
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bear with me here- not a spinnaker expert.

There are quite a few threads here about spinnaker options. I have seen some discussion of a roller furling spin set up for a H21 SE, but have never seen one. Anybody? Pics? Again, no spin expert, but I guess the +/- are as follows:

Pros: Ease of use. No tricky spinnaker take downs. No tramp space lost to huge spin bags. No forcing a large H21 spinnaker in a little snuffer on the pole, etc.

Cons: Lots of drag out front when not in use. Not the perfect size / dementions for true spinnaker performance. Really just a gennaker / 2nd jib.

Thoughts?

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have listed them all. However, it doesn't have to be a gennaker type with the anti-torque built into the luff of the sail, you can install a top down spinnaker furler which can be used with a full spinnaker. They are pretty pricey, though. One such is the profurl spinex here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5l4r2N14g

I've used top down furlers. I've used anti-torque in luff spins. I've used snuffers. My preference with small boats is snuffers. The only disadvantages of a snuffer are the space it takes and the fact that the larger they are, the more ddw you have to drive to snuff them. A 21 is probably just large enough to make a spin furler worthwhile, but you have to know that there will be two additional lines extending the length of the boat to accommodate the continuous furler-you might be able to get them out of the way with a bunch of blocks to route them around the outside, though.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks.