Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I am new to this boat and have experienced a few minor but troubling glitches. One issue being the amount of slop in the gin pole when the short stub is seated in the mast base while raising and lowering the mast. This allows for enough mast rotation during the maneuver to be concerning that the pole may pop out and cause the mast to crash down.

I have modified the gin pole by replacing the aluminum stub base with a much longer delrin insert that provides more inserted length into the gin pole and turned a 1/2 steel rod that runs through the length of the new delrin bushing in the gin pole. the 1/2 steel rod is long enough to reach the sail track side of the mast and I have drilled a 5/16 hole in the sail track side of the mast. the end of the 1/2 steel rod is turned down to 5/16 to allow it to seat in the hole in the sail track side of the mast when fully inserted from the front of the mast thus eliminating any rotation during mast raising.

Not sure if others have experienced this concern but I will attach a picture of the modification if you wish to consider doing this. It seemed to work much better and reduces my stress levels when raising the mast.

I don't seem to be able to attach a photo to my post here sorry. Will work on that.