Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 21SC beach storage
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm thrilled to have found a great place to store my 21SC on the intracoastal! As you all know, this boat is HEAVY! I thought I would share my current setup and some ideas I have to make it so that I can sail solo.

I use the cat trax with cradles to move the boat to and from the water. It's fairly easy for me to roll the boat down to the water on my own due to the angle of the beach. Bringing it back up is a different story! I have a line lashed to the center of the cat trax that I lead up the beach toward the screw anchor. I then undo the mainsheet system and put it to the screw anchor. With one end of the mainsheet blocks on the anchor and the other on the line to the cat trax, I ratchet the boat up the beach. The mainsheet extends to about 12 feet when it is reeved 4:1. I have to reset this system about 3 times to get the boat up to the anchor point.

Future improvements:
-Replace the mainsheet with a manual or electric winch or dedicated 4:1 tackle so that I don't have to set and reset the mainsheet 3+ times to get the boat up.
-Add longer cat trax side lines and attach bullet blocks at aft end of boat to help pull the cat trax under the boat. The way it is now, I really struggle to get the beach wheels pushed from the bow to the balance point (aft of the shrouds).

More photos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Zach,
Looks like there is enough room for my boat to fit on that beach too. All you need is a small beachcats club there to help each other out....just a recommendation... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is a killer parking spot. Are you soloing? If you have crew, I would recommend putting the boat on the cat trax while it is in the water. Unless there is too much chop...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill 404 wrote:
Zach,
Looks like there is enough room for my boat to fit on that beach too. All you need is a small beachcats club there to help each other out....just a recommendation... :D

Plenty of room for your 21 too, Bill!
speed633 wrote:
That is a killer parking spot. Are you soloing? If you have crew, I would recommend putting the boat on the cat trax while it is in the water. Unless there is too much chop...

I solo about half the time. You're right, I do put the boat on the cat trax while it is in the water. The boat is so heavy that there really is no other way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made some covers

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those are some nice looking covers, but now it is time to stop messing around with the covers a get your gennaker setup working. I can see your boat already has the bow tangs and the furler jam cleat... you're half way there!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now is time for some wing cover? :wink:

Wrap the wings with fabric and add grommets to the underside to lace it in place like a shoe laces.

Keep that sun off on everything use can without taking too much time to wrap and unwrap your prize boat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

speed633 wrote:
Those are some nice looking covers, but now it is time to stop messing around with the covers a get your gennaker setup working. I can see your boat already has the bow tangs and the furler jam cleat... you're half way there!

I have the whole system. I just need to raise the sail and sheet in!

I am going to put the front tramp on first so that I have a place to drop the genny when it's not in use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great looking 21SC. In the top picture it looks there is a pole with line wrapped around it under the motor mount. Is that a power pole righting pole? How did you attach it? Mine does not fit very well on my 21SC. Thanks, Tim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, it looks good. Only comment, unless you’re storing on a private beach, you may want to think twice about leaving things like the hotstick, main blocks, and cooler on the boat. Parts that are easily removed unfortunately have a tendency to “go missing” unexpectedly. I’d throw a padlock on the outboard too if not already done.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Timd1966 wrote:
Great looking 21SC. In the top picture it looks there is a pole with line wrapped around it under the motor mount. Is that a power pole righting pole? How did you attach it? Mine does not fit very well on my 21SC. Thanks, Tim

srm wrote:
I agree, it looks good. Only comment, unless you’re storing on a private beach, you may want to think twice about leaving things like the hotstick, main blocks, and cooler on the boat. Parts that are easily removed unfortunately have a tendency to “go missing” unexpectedly. I’d throw a padlock on the outboard too if not already done.

Thanks guys! It is a private beach inside a fenced area. The motor is locked. There is still a chance of theft or vandalism but I've decided to stay rigged for convenience. Ease of set up means that I'll sail more often.

Unfortunately that isn't a righting pole. That is the gin pole for raising the mast. By the way, the gin pole works very well!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Unfortunately that isn't a righting pole.

A 21SC with shroud extenders probably doesn't need a righting pole. I can't quite right mine solo, but I suspect if I had a righting bag I could. With two people and shroud extenders the boat comes over quite easily.

Quote:
It is a private beach inside a fenced area

Not sure how public access rights work in Florida, but in Michigan you are free to walk along the edges of navigable waterways, up to the high water mark. Thus, the only private part of your beach is the ability to access it from ashore.

But, at the end of the day your sailing time is likely more valuable, and it is difficult to inconspicuously walk down a beach carrying a motor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="speed633]But, at the end of the day your sailing time is likely more valuable, and it is difficult to inconspicuously walk down a beach carrying a motor.[/quote]

Yes and no. When we stored our boat on a public beach in the summer, I more or less had to come to grips with the fact that people would likely be sitting on, poking around, and potentially messing with my boat. This was a public beach in NJ where literally 100's of people walked past the boat every weekend, so a little different than PurdueZach's situation I think. But still, you have to make a decision on how to balance convenience vs. risk. Obviously you can't go for a sail if your sails (or fill in the blank) are missing.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting discussion. Yes, this is a fairly isolated beach with property owners on both sides that have fences that extend to the waterline. In order to mess with the boat, someone would have to go through their gate and through their yard. It's definitely possible but a bold move given that the owners live and work on premise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the 21SC you do have uniqueness on your side. There are not too many of these boats floating around, so if someone nabs your boom, and it shows up on Ebay, you'll recognize it. But on the flip side, if someone nabs your boom, you won't be able to find a replacement until that person tries to sell your stolen boom back to you.