Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New mast for the 21SE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been in discussion with the builders of the ARC-21, Aquarius Sails Inc. and they will build me a brand new solid mast for my 21SE. :D I plan on taking my boat to them in Wyoming, MN this season and placing my order.

Last fall, Randy Symth helped me put together a top down furling spinnaker setup for my boat. I am now wanting a solid mast to use with this new spinnaker. The stock mast on the 21 has a comtip which over time has proven to a weak point. My original comtip mast is still good, but I am looking forward in time and want an upgrade before I have that problem.

If other 21SE owners are interested in a solid mast, let put together a production run order of 6 mast. The ARC-21 has a 33' mast that will fit my 21. Their mast rotation ball is large than mine but they make their own rotation balls, they will simple drill and tap their rotation ball to fit my post.

My Florida 21 buddies are in need of a new comtip for their boat and Hobie stop making that part. I would like to help solve their problem and eliminate the comtip altogether.

Let's keep the 21 on the water for another 30 years..... :D

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm assuming by solid you mean no comptip? I started reading this with the impression you were talking about a 33ft solid hunk of aluminum that wasn't hallow and would weight a ton.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am talking about a hollow mast. By solid, I mean no comtip but all aluminium... Which I think would be strongest. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bill,

I lost my mast due to it being knocked down in a tornado here in Virginia back in Feb. 2016. The damage was a 90 degree bend about 6 feet up from the bottom. I cut out about 3 feet of the original mast to get rid of the flattened section above and below the creased bend. Then I took about 8 feet of Hobie 16 and slightly compressed it side to side and then ground off about a 1/4 inch of the bolt rope edge and it fits perfectly inside of the H21SE extrusion. I had an old damaged H21SE and I cut a 3 foot section out of that. Now I have 2 1/2 ft of 16 mast below the replaced section and the same above the replacement section. All of this was then welded at all seams and I cut 3/4/ by 3 inch holes into sides of the H21SE mast and welded the outer sleeve of H21SE mast to the outer edge of the inner H16 mast. This thing is now stronger than the original but does not have much fore and aft flex I am sure.

Having said that I may be very interested in your project to get an all aluminum mast as I also had to do some fiberglass repairs to comptip. I do not fly a spinnaker and at age 70, I don't think I will start. My H21SE is a 1989 and everything else is in pretty decent shape. I am in Virginia and will be trying out all of this as soon as the water warms up a bit. I did buy new tramp, new shouds and headstay, new bridle wires and new spreader wires so hoping that all will be good.

I would like to know what kind of price you were quoted for these masts.

Thanks

"If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane", J. Buffett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

swhobie,

No quote yet, but once I take my boat to Aquarius Sails Inc. later this season I will know just what it will cost are and order one for myself.

I would rather get all the details first hand from the manufacturer once they can see what I will need before publishing the cost.

I am hopefully that Aquarius will be interested providing Hobie 21SE owners with a replacement mast and increase sales at Aquarius with another item to add to their business model. :D

Let's get others interested in this project. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No problem, I can wait until you get more information. That will give me a chance to put everything together and try my repairs out on the water.

One of my close by neighbors also has a H21SE and he broke his comptip beyond repair in a bad wipeout a few years back. We were able to get a new comptip then and did the repairs to get him back up and sailing. See the recovery operation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOjq2WXloA

I picked up one 21SE years ago with a broken mast and converted the boat to a H18 mast and sail package. It now lives on a lake in Pennsylvania and the family loves it as they all can go out at the same time and just have a blast. That was the project that gave me a broken 21SE mast that turned into a flagpole and the tornado knocked it down as well but I was able to get the section I needed to do my repair.

Please keep us posted as you move forward. Thanks

"If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane", J. Buffett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How does the extrusion profile compare to the original one, and is it available extrusion only?
Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,

As I understand it, Aquarius uses a more elliptical profile. My mast circumference (14 7/8") is 1/8" smaller than their's (15"). This production run should yield six or seven extrusions, so there will be just the some "sticks" available.

If you are interested, Great. Contact them and let them know that you are wanting a stick. [email protected]. Let's build some excitement here.

As I can get other Hobie 21 owners together on this project than I start meeting the minimum order required (600lbs.) of extrusion material to make it feasible.

I plan on using other Aquarius parts like their base and top and let them design what ever diamond wire setup they would recommend. So my new mast will be complete and ready to use. Aquarius fabricates that ball that the mast rotates on and is willing to made those balls will the same threads that my post has so it will just screw right on to my boat. :wink:

Thanks for the interest Tom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was just curious. My mast is still fine, so I don't really need one. I was thinking about pulling a mold off the comptip, in case I ever need another one, but the to-do list is way too long to bother with that right now either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is an update from Aquarius Sail Inc. about ordering some new masts for the Hobie 21SE.

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:20 PM, Tom Haberman <[email protected]> wrote:

Bill,
We are putting together an order for mast extrusions and would like to include you in the mix.
Any firm thoughts on how many your group may require.
The more we can include in the order the more appealing the price will be.
Please get back to me soon.

--
Tom Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com

I hope there are other 21 owners interested in a brand new mast without a comtip. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Jim from Higgins Lake MI .... waiting for the weather to warm so we can get back on the lake. I have a Hobie 21 SE that I had to replace my comptip two years ago after a beach blowover. I think I am one of the last to get a new comptip from Hobie while they were still in stock.
After two years the comptip is showing cracks where the two meet..

That being said..... I would like to be included in the new mast for Hobie21SE project. Hopefully the price will meet my budget.

I would also like to sail one of Tom Haberman's super fine Aquarius 27 or the 30

Jim Marquardt
Higgins Lake MI
Hobie21SE
Hobie16
E Scow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd be interested in one for my sc, a few feet shorter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kevin,

Please check your mast circumference. My 21SE has a circumference of 14 7/8"around. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK, Are these masts you speak of set up with diamond wires, and halyard? What about other rigging?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kevin,

I am interested in a complete mast, ready to go myself. :D

Aquarius Sail would like to do a production run of 500 lbs. of extruded aluminium so around 5 or possible 6 total sticks should be available.