Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: se 21 luff rope problem
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, In the past I have seen posts regarding the problem of the se 21 luff rope pulling out of the luff groove in the comptip. Can anyone direct me to the posts that suggest a fix for this problem? Thanks, deejay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, What forum will help me find the previous posts on solving the luff rope pulling out of the luff groove on the H21 SE? Help is very much appreciated.....Deejay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there an issue with the halyard ring pulling out the luff at a funny angle? My ring is not what I call a center pull but the halyard line actually is tied to the side and not the top. This way the ring is more likely to land on the hook. And if that ring is rotated away from the mast, that maybe the reason you are having an issue. I always twist my halyard several times before I start raising my sail in a way that get the ring to hug the mast and land on the hook most of the time. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check with your dealer to see if the aluminum luff track upgrade will work on a 21SE. That is the easiest solution.

Otherwise, you can have a sailmaker put a thicker bolt rope in the top foot or so of the main. The problem is the plastic luff track can spread open and allow the bolt rope to pop out.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Answer is in your topic on it: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=62371&p=299043&hilit=Luff+rope+21#p299043

This is a snap on aluminum track section.

There are also issues with halyard shackles that are welded to the ring when the mast and sail rotate on opposite directions... mast counter rotated. This can leverage the rope out of the track. The original ring and loose twist shackle allow some rotation between sail and mast which does not pull the rope out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little less expensive solution to the luff rope or aluminum replacement is to replace a short section of the luff rope with a sail slug at the head. You will want an allslip sail slug since they are longer and tougher plastic. You can get one from Sailrite. You can stitch it on yourself with a handistitcher or similar leather stitching device since the headboard area is many layers.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a potential option (though I don't know whether it would be easier/less expensive than the other options).

You would have to cut off the bolt rope along the head board and then attach the slug(s) to the headboard using nylon webbing. The headboard would need to be slotted to allow the webbing to be attached (like the head board plates on the left in the picture below).

I don't know for sure whether the slug would really provide an improvement actually. The real problem is that the plastic luff track spreads open. If the slug is the same diameter or less then the existing bolt rope diameter, it is still likely to pop out.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, Thanks very much for the Quick reply and info.. Best wishes...deejay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the boltrope is pulling out below the head and along the track somewhere, then this isn't easier. If it is just pulling out at the head, though, this is much simpler and can be done by wrapping the poly webbing (not nylon, please) through the head grommet and sewing in place. The sailrite slugs come in different sizes and, unlike the boltrope, they do not deform so they can squeeze through the track which is, unfortunately, also maleable. Basically, 10 bucks and an hour of time. Most of the time is spent trimming the existing boltrope to get it out of the way and so the end will easily go through the track behind the slug. If you aren't a performance nut, you can even buy a bunch of the slugs and sew along the boltrope, makes hoisting and lowering the mainsail a snap, but you do lose some performance.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, Does Hobie Cat carry this part in their catalog? (part helps keep the h21 mainsail in the luff of the comptip) Deejay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LUFF TRACK UPDATE (12.5")
US$ 61.99

You can order through a Hobie sailboat dealer - here's that link:
https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

Post subject: Re: matt miller question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I changed out all but one of my tracks to aluminum on my comp tip back in 2007. Matt at the time brought up a good point about the comp tip, power lines and how using all aluminum tracks would defeat the purpose of having a comp tip.

Another major help, was using a Vectran based halyard. It's the next best thing to stainless rope for not stretching...which is where the problem begins, and is non-conductive. I think the given stretch of Vectran is .7% or about 2 to 3 inches over 33 feet.