Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 21SC Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good Day,

My wife and I recently acquired a Hobie 21SC and have some general questions that I could not find answers too reading through threads and doing searches.

The Sport Cruiser is our practice boat for buying something in a couple of years to live on - e.g. Leopard Outremer, etc. In January we went through Offshore Sailing's Fast Track to Cruising (US Sailing: basic keel boat, basic cruising, bare boat cruising and catamaran endorsement) - couple of days on a keel boat and 6 days on a Leopard 48. The second day on the big cat, my wife was at the helm in 30 knot winds, I didn't even have to ask - she was loving it. The instructor on the Leopard was only 24 years old, had sailed around the world twice already and was wise way beyond his years and drilled the skills, absolutely amazing experience. Since then we have completed the ASA Coastal Navigation course and will be doing the ASA Advanced Coastal Cruising on Lake Superior in September. In the meantime we are testing out of the lower ASA classes.

The little time we have spent on it so far has been great, we have not started to push it yet, but I am already worried that it will push us away from the conveniences of the Leopard to a boat with dagger boards, just something about speed.

The Questions:

• Are there guidelines for when to reef?
  • Anyone have experience with tipping with a motor (freshwater)? Currently debating between 2 stroke OMC and 4 stroke 2.5 Yahama, expecting it to be relatively easy, to get them dry and running again, but want to reduce the headaches.
  • Are there sail plans available for the Main, Jib and Jennaker? The sails are OK for now, but will need replacing, to get ready for the big adventure we are looking to make our own sails, Sailrite only has kits for the H14 & H16.
  • Jib blocks - where is a good place to get parts - missing a bolt for the cam cleat and one of the really short bolts on the side of the pulley? West marine has the longs ones, but not the really short ones.
  • What have people used for gaskets on the hatch covers? Really want to get those sealed tight before an intentional or not so intentional tip
  • Any additional spare parts I should consider besides: shackles, clevises, rudder pins, drain plugs, batten ties, mast bearing and some line?
  • Does anyone know the length of the bungee in the center x-bar that attaches the lines for stepping the mast? The parts manual lists a trapeze bungee which I believe will be way too long ( I could be wrong if it is doubled up in there somehow, mine is a little sloppy and I would like use the old one to thread the new one through the x-bar.
  • I will be storing it on a beach, should I be taking the mast down after each weekend and if I do what do most people do with the mast? It is not going to lay well on the boat because of the cat cabin.

I am sure I will have more after this weekend.

Thanks,

Don

Post subject: Re: Hobie 21SC Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

1. Have not reefed yet, in 25+ it wasn't needed
2. Most motorers come with directions in how to handle submerged situation. Drain oil, gas teaspoon of oil in spark plugs,. Etc. Actually with mast float it's unlikely to submerge if you tip.
3. Check whirlwind sails , the make all replacement sails including jennaker
4. I've had good luck with Murray's for parts
5. The line in the center cross bar used in stepping should be line/rope not bungee. The bungee in the cross bar just takes up slack. You can download the instructions at the top be of this forum.
6. Mine goes back on the trailer. Maybe build a stand?