Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good day,

What is the dolphin striker rod height and/or the mast ball height for the 21sc?

i noticed my mast base was gouged on both sides, probably a 1/4" and that the mast does not always turn smoothly when tacking. After some tacks it will not turn until there is enough load, and then it when it does turn it can be pretty jolting.. Thinking it is because the height of the ball is too low. Not sure if it was like this when I bought it or if it has happened since I bought it..

If there could be other causes let me know.

I will add a picture of the base as soon as I lower the mast.

Thanks,

Don

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are a pictures, let me know what you think is causing this to occur.

Thanks,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am 
Site Admin

The rotation stop is hitting on each rotation. Maybe the mast is raked too far forward? Too low?

2.65" from crossbar to top of the ball.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt, much appreciated, I am betting you are right and it needs to be raked back a bit.

FYI your videos for raising and lowering the mast are excellent, way ahead of their time for how to video and have made my life much easier.

We bought the 21sc on Memorial weekend and been able to get out almost every weekend with it. The day after the 4th we sailed one of the bigger lakes in Minnesota - 22 miles each way - what a great boat and trip.

Thanks again,

Don

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Bwana_don wrote:
Thank you Matt, much appreciated, I am betting you are right and it needs to be raked back a bit.

FYI your videos for raising and lowering the mast are excellent, way ahead of their time for how to video and have made my life much easier.

Thanks Don!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made it back up to the cabin and raked the mast, that did not take of the issue.

I measured the mast ball height with the mast still on - so I had to eyeball the top of the ball. From the top of the based of the rotation prevent casting (not including the tabs) it was 2 1/4".

Looking closely at it, only 1 thread on the dolphin striker rod was showing between the ball and the plate. That is not what is shown in the parts manual, it show many threads and the bottom of the ball, basically at the top of the tabs. I was also able to see the ball briefly in the rigging videos and it looks like the manual - very happy to see that confirmation.

Bottom line the mast step ball is too low, now I need to understand root cause. If I make it look like the picture in the manual it would be closer to 3 1/4" to the top of the ball.

Based on the reading other threads I suspect the ball as drilled itself out (it does turn a little when the mast turns).

My embarrassing question - On the 21sc should the mast pin be left in or taken out when the mast is raised?

The only reference in the assembly manual is to put it in when raising the mast. In the videos - put it in when raising, take out when detaching the mast. I have been leaving it in, but I see in some threads related to the 18s it should be taken out. With the mast ball failure, I wondering if I caused it by leaving it in or not.

I will put a new mast ball on this weekend and see if the height is where it should be or if I need to adjust the dolphin striker rod - hoping it is not seized up.

Becoming less confused,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Pin stays in. Keeps mast captive on ball if you capsize and use the righting system which loosens the rig.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie21 dolphin striker https://imgur.com/gallery/lr4rTSW. Here's what my Dolphin Striker looks like sorry you have to copy the link until browser the forums are really difficult to use other phone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt and Kevin.

Guess leaving the pin in was not the cause. With a new ball in hand and Kevin's pictures, I am pretty sure the dolphin striker rod is too low for some reason, looking forward to dropping the mast, getting it set correctly and watching the mast rotate as it should.

Thanks again,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow! What a difference having a mast rotate as it should.

Turned out to be an issue with the ball, the striker rod had drilled part way through the ball.

I could not adjust the striker rod any higher, the sleeve is seized.

Here are the before and after pictures.

Thanks,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Great!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)