Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Curious how others are running and rigging their sheets for their jennaker?

Read the manual, watched some videos on Jennakers, only detailed ones were on monohulls, and read some blogs.

The manual calls for having the sheets run between the jib and the jennaker. The videos my wife and watched (monohulls) showed the lazy sheet running forward of the jennaker.

We tried it both ways and liked the lazy sheet running forward of the jennaker. When we timed our jibes correctly, the jennaker flew forward and could be sheeted in on the leeward side smoothly. The lazy sheet would slide down below the tack and stay above the furler. When we tried having the sheets between the jib and the jennaker there seemed to be two issues. First one was during a jibe it seemed like a lot of pulling and finagling to to get the jennaker to the leeward side. The second was the lazy sheet rode on the furled jib, I am afraid of it causing some chaffing.

Next question are we using the rigging on our boat correctly?

There is an extra jib track and jib block on each side aft of the original jib tracks and blocks. There are also bullet blocks on each side of the aft crossbar. As near as I can figure, the two jennaker sheets (not continuous like the manual) run outside the shrouds, inside the wings to the bullet blocks and then to the aft jib blocks on the same side as the bullet block. This all seemed to work really well, but not sure if it could be better or if the extra jib tracks and blocks were meant for something else. The only annoyance was when we had a couple of passengers later in the day and the jennaker sheets were running in front of their faces when they were sitting on the wings.

We have had this boat for almost 2 months now and it has been a great journey and learning experience. Repairs, replacing parts, fabricating parts, etc. Looks like the minor repairs are dwindling down and we will be able to spend even more time sailing the rest of the summer – looking forward to flying a hull for more than just a few seconds, flipping and righting the boat and hiking out.

Thank you for your guidance,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Post some pics of the boat with the genniker flying. I wish I had one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are a couple of pictures from on the boat, it will be a couple of weeks before we can get pics of the boat.