Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I picked up what looks to be a pretty solid H21SE, but it needs a little love. Specifically need to fix at least one front wing tube.

I have zero problems with composites, what I'm scared of is whether putting in a 6 or 8 inch access port will weaken the deck/hull. I need to put the access port in front of the front cross member.

Can the hulls take the modification? Anyone hear of any failures at inspection ports?

I'll document this restoration as I'm really liking this boat! It'll get sailed in the Gulf around Galveston and in the bay, for reference.

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pm message sent. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, I've burned about a day of my life looking for a link to some guys in Europe (or somewhere else) that cut open a 21 SE to repair the wing tubes, then put it back together with a very good repair/cover up. Real professional job that I want to probably follow as my wing tubes are broken on the inside, so I have to go in. I could add more inspection ports, but I'm going to be re-painting the thing anyway over the winter.

Anyone know the link to the guys who professionally cut a hole in the side of the boat and re-worked it? Still waffling between access ports on the top and cut-and-reseal... HOWEVER, the thing's got to be sailed before the cold sets in, so tape over the wing holes it is for now. I really want to fix this thing better than new, once. Planning on re-building the tubes with an internal wrap of carbon fiber tape, top to bottom. Got to completely re-build 2 of them, so I'm going to do them all while I have the thing torn apart.

Thanks and appreciate what anyone can provide as to the link. I'll pay it forward as I go.