Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last summer after sailing my Hobie 21 SE for many years I finally had a high speed blow over. I was alone which made it almost impossible to right the big boat myself.
Since it is winter here in Michigan and my boat is neatly tucked away, I thought I would come up with a permanent solution to right the boat myself.
I think I'm in favor of the righting pole that fits into the centerboard opening slot.... Does anyone have a better system that works for them?
Does anyone have pictures of what they use and where they store them while sailing.
Thanks in advance for all your comments.
Merry Christmas to everyone.
Just thinking about sailing

Jim from Detroit
Higgins Lake Mi
Hobie 21 SE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used the Johnson Hyfield type lever for my shroud extenders on my 21SE since it was new in'89. My system does not have a wire keeper at the mast base that the 16 uses....maybe because the base of the mast is kept captive on the ball on the post....I did buy a big azz righting bag ( large enough to stand in) from Colorado Bag Company/Andrew Cook that works fine on a block and tack set up. So ,I sail with two different systems.

I even like that third system that uses a long thin inflatable black bag that attaches to a line that runs through a small block added to the comtip near the top. It automatically inflates when it makes contact with the water and keeps the boat from turtlering . This system can be lower and deflated than place a new compressed Co2 container to rearm the system I found this product online @ a British boating company. A chandler business as I remember.

Having purchased my 21SE at the Indianapolis sailboat show nearly thirty years, I can only remember capsizing maybe a dozen times the first few year and once it the last 20 years. The 21 is a heavy boat that is very stable and it has a large footprint.....which seems to hold it well to the water. I sail consecutively and I don't want to end up in the drink....with a damaged boat and someone hurt. :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And I do have the standard big boat righting system too. :D

So, I sail with three systems now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a righting pole that pivots on the aluminum block bolted around the dolphin striker that the spinnaker pole mounts onto also. It just stores under the tramp.

I've never flipped the 21, so haven't ever tried it out. Both the spinnaker pole, and the righting pole are old, broken windsurf masts on windsurfing universal joints that screw into that alumimum block.