Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,
I recently bought a 21SE and was repairing the centerboard spring mechanism because a couple of the springs were broken. I tried to order springs from a company that gets them direct from Hobie but it seems they sold their last stock. Not sure if or when they'll restock but I ended up ordering custom springs from springsfast.com. They are a small business with reasonable prices. They gave me a volume discount with each spring costing about $20 each in a batch of 10 springs total. It was much cheaper than what some other companies were quoting me. Anyways, here are the specs I measured for the H21 SE's centerboard springs in case anyone needs to order custom replacements for theirs:
0.058" thickness
stainless steel 316 (marine grade stainless so resistant to rusting)
0.560" Outer Diameter
8" body length
9.25" overall length
I got machine loop ends though I think the originals were center cross over ends but the machine loops should also work fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So you have the right springs and some extra now... :) maybe I could get a set for my boat too....I still have the original springs that work just fine after over 30 years but a spare set seem like the right thing for me.

Let me know. Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like 2 sets of 21se springs. Dave s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heck, I would like a single set, if for sale.

Chuck C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, I sold a few of the springs and would like to keep the rest as spares for myself. If you get a group together and contact that small business, they should be able to do a batch of the springs and get you a volume discount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the tip. Guessing the other alternative, if not available at Hobie, would be McMaster-Carr but you'll have to buy spring stock in 302 stainless and make them yourself.

Not sure about 302, though. No idea how suitable...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the market for a pair of centerboard springs on my 21sc. Has anyone had any long-term success with using bungee cord? Alternatively, does anyone have these springs for sale or interested in getting in on an order?

Thank you Sailor456 for providing the specs on the spring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you can get spring stock at McMaster-Carr, if not available from Hobie, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ChuckC wrote:
I think you can get spring stock at McMaster-Carr, if not available from Hobie, etc.

Great recommendation on McMaster-Carr. I was able to get some spring stock (part# 9665K46) which was 20" long, enough for two springs for $15. Attaching the upper loop to the bolt shaft was a challenge on the 21sc because there's no access except from below. Instead of using a loop bent into the spring I found an old luff shackle and used it as the hook. Much easier to attach, hopefully there will be enough pressure to keep it in place.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PX27qSWGr7USZxwV7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Photo won't come up, but I'm glad it worked. I learned about Mcmaster from buddies when I used to build and fly RC turbine jets. We had to be really creative to source stuff like micro pneumatic cylinders for manufacturing to use as retractable gear power, high quality stainless sheet for exhaust/thrust tubes, etc. Its really an engineer's source; o good one but not specifically for boats, much less Hobie stuff.

You can get the elusive stainless taper pins for a 21 SE there as well. But, they're like $40-50, each and still need threads cut.

Would love to see pics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone provide some advise on removing the Centerboard on my 89 Hobie 21SE, Is the replacing of the springs difficult, any recommendations. I haven't looked at the project yet, but know I want to remove the Centerboards to get them refinished, over the winter. But am concerned with the Springs, I imagine these are the original Springs, I would be interested in finding a way to obtain new springs. Any advise would be helpful before I embark on the project.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Some information is in the owners manual:

https://www.hobie.com/support/hobie-21/

https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/21SE_Manual.pdf#page=10

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Search on this site; I think we had found before where to get spring stock from that's the same diameter, but longer. Maybe McMaster-Carr? There was someone that had some made at a bit more cost and someone tried bungees. I don't recall the bungees working long enough, as expected. From my experiences with messing with my centerboards with my boat on the trailer, it didn't seem THAT bad; but a bit "fiddly", like getting to that bolt at the ack of an engine kind of thing. I'll be doing the same this winter, probably right after Thanksgiving when I'll tear it completely down, do a bottom job, full re-paint and reinforce my last two wing sockets with carbon tape, etc. Since it's flying fine, it's time to give the old girl a face lift for the next 5 years, me thinks.

Share pics, please.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One question, how do you know if the springs need replacing? My boat is just as old as the rest of them, and suspect the springs are original. It all seems to work. right though.. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The centerboards won't go down in the water if the springs have failed. The boards will still go down a little due to gravity but they won't go all the way down due to their buoyancy. They will still go all the way down on dry land. Spring failure occurs when the spring breaks into two pieces, so there are no worn springs, just springs that have failed and springs that will fail eventually.