Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Picked up a 21SE and purchased all new rigging from salty dog, the mast rake seems very high. Is this normal? I’m used to virtually zero with my old H18.

The taper pins have a large space between nut and crossbar, does this mean the holes are worn and taper pins are sitting deeper than originally designed? I dont think it's a big deal as the taper pins a frozen in place.

Also are there any other items I should replace? For example on the Hobie 18 I know it’s good to replace the shroud anchor pins. The ones on the 21 are substantially beefier.
If anything is sloppy like rudders or traveler car I will rebuild/replace it, I just want to make sure there isn’t anything that should be replaced as a safety issue. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My mast rake looks the same, roughly. Your taper pins have seated deeper into the sleeves, wallowing out the holes. I think elsewhere we discovered these are something like no. 10 American taper; Matt provided specs. You might be able to buy a larger one from Grainger or other industrial supply and have the end threaded at a machine shop to make them oversize. Conversely, go to very good welder and have them tig weld the holes and then re-drill them out. The second option would end up being much cheaper. You'll likely loose whatever temper the sleeve had, but with the wing swivel add on you have probably lost that anyway and now have nothing to loose... I think people are cracking down on the taper pins excessively, beyond what the taper pins are designed for.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t ever plan on disassembling the boat so I was just going to leave taper pins alone. If I see them sliding back and forth then I’ll do something to address it.