Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Went for first sail yesterday in light wind and it was very noticeable the crossbars were moving in the sockets rotating about the taper pins. It seems as the "bearings" are very worn and the unpinned side of crossbar is moving up and down 1/4".

Has anyone replaced the "bearing" inside the sleeve? Does anyone have a picture of this bearing?. Im also toying around with idea if using epoxy but then the boat can never be broken down again...

Also the boat had some moderate weather helm, could this be due to mast rake? What is the mast rake setting and how should I measure it? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Unpinned side"??????

Weather helm is probably from rudder rake being too far back. Check to see if the bolt holes are wallowed out any.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After doing some more research and looking closer at the boat I’m guessing the outer bearing located deep in hull is shot and the crossbars have been hinging on the taper pins which has wallowed out the holes. Does anyone have a picture of the crossbar bearings? I’m wondering if I can rebuild them. I’m concerned that even if we’re to fix the bearings the wallowed out holes are still going to have a lot of movement between crossbar and sleeve.

I plan to keep boat at marina so I don’t have any need to collapse to trailer width. Has anyone used an epoxy to permently secure the crossbar in sleeve? If I could find an epoxy for aluminum I’m still not sure if it would hold as there is a strong two sting force between the two when boat flexes.

Anyone have experience correcting this issue?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m not too familiar with the 21, but I belive at one point Hobie offered over-sized taper pins as a solution to address worn out crossbar holes. Matt M shared a copy of the original pin drawing a little while ago which you may be able to use as a starting point to build new pins if you decide to go that route.

sm