Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All,

After a month working on the boat, she's ready and I'll be finally launching my newly purchased SC21 next weekend, can't wait!

Question - I replaced the weather stripping/seals around the storage hatches along with installing new gaskets and washers topside and below the hatch handles to ensure no water leaks through there.

I live in Florida and over the past month we've had a ton of rain. After being away for about 10 days, I came home and there's standing water in both storage compartments of the hull (maybe an inch). Unless its coming through the rivets where the main tramp hardware attaches to hull, which seems unlikely based on the quantity of water around maybe 1 gallon in each hull, I'm assuming it must be coming through one of the forwarded bulkheads (which appear pretty sealed). My initial thought is through the wing holes? Upon a brief examination (wings inserted still), I don't see any standing water at the top of the two forward wind holes however I do on the aft wing holes which leads me to believe those forward wing holes are the culprit.

1. Whats the fix or ideas for further examination? Anyone have experience with this?
2. I did remove the wings and I'm missing one of the caps. Based on a search, it doesn't look like these are made anymore. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

The water is in the area under the large hatches? Maybe leaking through the handle?

For wind tube repair... Found this:

Quote:
If the leaks are not too bad (tube cracked, not completely broken), you can make the repair from inside the wing tube.

See the "This Old Hobie - Leaks" article in the Fall 2015 HCANA Hotline magazine - http://www.w1dm.com/Projects/HOTLINE/15-2HOTLINE.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

That's correct, in the storage hatch area.. My initial thought was the handles as well so I took them apart and basically installed new rubber washers and stainless washers to sandwich them topside and under when tightened. Water now sits in those handle indents so I know it's not coming from there.

Possible that the section forward of the storage hatch bulkhead, where the wing socket is, leaking through the bulkhead into the storage area?

Best,
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the article by the way, very helpful.

Assuming for forward wing sockets on the sc21 I'll have to make an inspection port on the inside hull since the only other option is forward of the front cross bar, which may cause structural issues I assume?

Best,
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Correct. Aft of the beam or on the inside of the hull under the trampoline. A hole can be cut and patched pretty easily.

The storage areas should be sealed. There should be a pipe running fore to aft bulkhead in the keel to drain water from the front-to-back and then drain on the transom.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Matt,

The storage compartments should be and appear sealed with the bulkheads but I can't imagine anywhere else where it would be leaking from in that quantity other than the wing sockets - I'll have to do some more testing to be certain.

I saw a post of another owner that cut those inspection ports in you mention on the inner portion of the hull under the tramp to access the forward wing sockets and then left a 5" inspection port there as opposed to patching/glassing over. Aside from having an access point that spends some time under water, do you see any issue leaving an access port in the hull there? Part of me likes the idea of having access points to the different sections of the hull for periodically inspections as long as it doesn't effect structural integrity.

Thanks again,your help is invaluable!
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Above water line and inboard would be away from stress... seems OK to me.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)