Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Open question-Best way to get geometry right on 21SE gin pole?

I'm using a gin pole (2" thick wall aluminum tube") strapped to base of mast, winch to forestry, like is standard for the SC, but the SE has curved beams, so the traplines I use to stabilize side to side, tighten when I raise and loosen when lowering. I'm ready to weld up something permanent to the trailer, etc. Just hate stopping and untying and retying lines. Just not safe enough and a pain.

Mr. King-you use an A-frame, but I don't understand how you stabilize and Bill-not sure what you do likewise. If you could do anything to make this easy, what would it be?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I stabilize it by standing on the tramp while someone cranks the winch. It really doesn't take any effort to do either. I'm not sure it would do a lot of flopping around even if I cranked it by myself. Maybe if one side of the boat was raised higher, the mast would stay all the way on one side in the process.

Once it's up, and the shrouds are tight, the winch has enough advantage to connect the forestay, and not have to bother to retighten the shrouds after. It's a pretty small winch too.

With the A-frame on the trailer, there is nothing to rig, other than raising the A-frame, and snapping the hook onto a couple of trap wires. The A-frame pivots on the front crossbar, and will go down behind the bridle wires. In total, there is one connection to have to do for the rigging-the forestay.

A roller on the rear mast carrier makes the process easier too-both ways. It's a urethane bow roller for a boat trailer. You can roll the mast forward, and backward pretty easily to either attach it to the step, or get it back on the front mast carrier.

That trailer also has an easily detachable system for carrying the second boat above, with no weight, or contact on the lower boat. There are four bolts, and a change of the mast carriers required, but it's not really that bad to switch from a single, to double carrier. It went all over the country. I built it in 1988. It's hot dip galvanized, and still looks like the day the parts came back from the dipper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is how mine works. If I need to step it alone I stabilize the mast, on the way up, using the trapeze wires otherwise I just stand on the trampoline and keep it centered while somebody else cranks the winch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-92qck ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LfhpS ... p=drivesdk