Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buying help Hobie 21
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keep those sockets dry! Very, very important! Water will pool inside, freeze and blow open the sockets. Typically, I pull the wings out, stuff pipe insulation in the sockets and seal the sockets with something. Lately its been dead soft aluminum tape that tightly conforms to the texture of the deck making it waterproof. The pipe insulation is last ditch insurance, hoping it will allow any water somehow getting in to freeze and expand without pushing against the fiberglass. Can't take credit-just picking up from others.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the 21 club, dhaglund. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a follow up on this thread.

We have been out sailing a few times now and it it great fun! I've flipped the boat over once so far. The boat works great except that I tore the trampoline a little bit yesterday so that will need to be replaced eventually.

I gave up on the idea of mooring the boat. After I have used the boat I always drain a little water from the hull so mooring is out of the questions. Considering the rotating mast and everything else that moves around I now see that mooring is not good for the boat in the long run. You all told me! Anyway now I store the boat mast up on a trailer and I drive it a quarter mile down to the lake every time we use it. It is a bit tricky to navigate around all the branches hanging from trees but it only takes me about 10 minutes from hooking on the trailer to being on the lake. I leave the trailer in water most trips since that makes it easier to take the cat up again. In the winter the cat will be stored inside to prevent damage to wing sockets or anything else.

I have yet to replace the standing rigging but that is up next.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may have luck gluing a patch on the small tear before it becomes larger.

I have had luck on old yellow vinyl tramp with a small tear at a grommet just using the glue alone.

HH-66 Vinyl Cement is what I used.

If you sew a web patch on each side with some V-92 thread and use the vinyl cement too...that should help. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've patched mine with sunbrella and good, V-69 thread. Can't tell. Then again, because I've been patching that, re-sewing the trampoline perimeter and now had to patch the entire leech of my main (ugh!) I have a highly modified semi-industrial sewing machine. It's actually fun making stuff, but don't tell my wife. Got enough to make for me.

I got some new jewelry for my standing rigging once I shortened the shrouds for the shroud quick-release/extenders. Neat, hydraulically swaged thimble ends. I mean, it looks great - way better than the nico-pressed stuff. I'll get pics tonight. Not cheap, but not horribly expensive either.

I've been out 3 times (been busy) and only tipped 33% of the time!