Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Set up time for the 21SE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Hobie 21SE is still resting in its' winterized state. It would take me most of a day to have it ready to trailer to our sailing club (Lake Monroe Sailing Association, Bloomington Indiana). And another day to built it as it is completely disassembled.

Once I put it together , raise the mast , setup my roll furling Genoa and cover it with a snorkel ....I need about 45 minutes to hoist the top down furling spinnaker , remove the Genoa snorkel , pull the trailer down to the launch area , pack the cooler ,slide it off the trailer and it on to some cradles, park my tow vehicle and raise the main sail. All of this is done without help so not to be distracted or hurried and in the early hours of the day... This is when I take a solo shake down cruise and wait for crew to arrive...........Patience is my preferred attitude.....and being retired allows me the time to enjoy life without the interruption of waiting on help or crew. This big heavy cat is always a trailer launch and retrieve boat.

I purchasing this boat new in '89 at a boat show. My buddies would flock down to the Paynetown State Park to help build , set up and sail with me. It was a group effort back than. I never thought I could set it up without help...than one New Years Eve I revisited that assumption and figured out with patience and a place to leaving the boat mostly set up at a club, I could solo sail this big and stable boat. Never look back.....move forward. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I suggest a competition, Bill -

Let's see who can get a more efficient set-up method, resulting in a quicker (but safe) trailer-to-water time. The goal here is to share all the secrets we develop and end up with a more enjoyable/efficient/accurate set-up sequence that others could use. No holds barred (well, except, no dangerous or risky maneuvers). My motivation? My boat lives in my backyard and I've got teenagers...always trailering - no mast up storage anywhere. I figure there's probably a base-minimum time/plateau can't get passed.

Will do my first official timing Sunday afternoon. Pictures necessary. This will be my base time.

Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ChuckC wrote:
I suggest a competition, Bill -

Let's see who can get a more efficient set-up method, resulting in a quicker (but safe) trailer-to-water time. The goal here is to share all the secrets we develop and end up with a more enjoyable/efficient/accurate set-up sequence that others could use. No holds barred (well, except, no dangerous or risky maneuvers). My motivation? My boat lives in my backyard and I've got teenagers...always trailering - no mast up storage anywhere. I figure there's probably a base-minimum time/plateau can't get passed.

Will do my first official timing Sunday afternoon. Pictures necessary. This will be my base time.

Chuck

This sounds like a great idea, at least for the rest of us if we can tap into your knowledge and experience!

I myself have two options.
1. Leave it in the water for the summer. This is the easiest.
2. Trailering it mast up 300 yards or so. Hopefully this is possible. There are no overhead lines but there are trees everywhere...

Or perhaps I can store it mast up at a local sail-club? I don't know yet. Taking the mast down does not seem like an option. But even at the club I would need to have the cat on the trailer. A 21SE is not something I can pull out of the water on a steep ramp by hand :)

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me know when there is a prize for this contest. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a Great competition ; winner walks away
with a smile !!! :D

Bille