Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,
We've luckily just purchased a 21SC and are extremely excited to get it in the water. I've geeked out plenty on this forum which helped towards our decision to get one of these awesome boats. We live in La Paz MX on our larger catamaran and will be keeping this boat in the water for quick few hour trips multiple times per week. I'll finally be able to go fast again! Used to race a Corsair 31 in SF Bay and offshore before we left for "cruising", and big boats don't scratch the itch as I'd hoped. We go fast occasionally, but it's way different.
There is nothing like a light boat with a tiller! Very excited.

The boat we got is a 1996 and has sat uncovered for 5 years. It's in Auburn CA. currently and we'll pick it up in early August. We'll be in CA for a couple weeks only. As parts are extremely difficult to get down in Mexico, I'd really like to redo all the standing and running rigging. Running rigging I can sort out easily with all the great info on here. I'm wondering if there is a rigger in the U.S. who's familiar enough with these to build all the wire parts, shrouds (we have the extensions), bridles for jib and jennaker, jib halyards, all the cotter pins/split rings, quick pins where possible, shackles, etc. Basically as I'll have one shot at it, I'd like to get everything from one vendor if possible as I'd likely miss something not having ever had a Hobie before. I contacted Salty Dog Marine on Ebay which was the only place I could find them, but haven't heard back. I got trams ordered already and expect to order sails from Whirlwind. We're going to really get this thing dialed and back to it's former glory or better. I really hope to get everything we'll possibly need delivered to CA for when we're there, even if it's a bit overkill.

I can't wait to feel acceleration again, and hopefully lots of "pucker moments". Speaking of which, at 275lbs (I'm trying), I'm big/strong and my wife is 6ft and super hot but not featherweight. What would you all recommend I get for righting the boat should/when we flip? Seems like there are several systems. I'd hope that the blue/white bungee covered righting line would do it but of course would like to hear from those of you with experience.

Thank you!
Damien Campbell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wires are all stock. Mostly Hobie 18 stuff.

Any Hobie dealer can get these for you. https://www.hobie.com/dealers/?product_line=fiberglass_sailboats&search_term=92109

https://www.hobie.com/support/hobie-21/

https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/21SCParts_OUYcvrb.pdf

All but trap wires are in stock. Those are discontinued.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Murray's has tons of Hobie stuff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 21SC came with black plastic rudders. They broke. You may consider getting a spare rudder or two. Often the nylon rudders can be found for cheap in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aah, a spare rudder or two would make sense. I've found that many of the 21SC parts are the same as other more common Hobie's. Are the rudders the same as another model? Thanks for your help. It'd be extremely difficult (or at least slow and expensive) to get parts down to La Paz once boat's there so am definitely interested in having spares of commonly broken parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The H21 SC uses the same rudder as most other hobies. H21 SE's used a larger rudder. If you happen to find a pair of those they would work and provide better low speed control.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1996 for years and recently replaced the Rudder pins bushings, cams, plungers, ... you get the idea, Once set correctly you will be protected from unwanted rudder "kick-up". I would get an extra pair of Cams while I was at it ( 4 total).
And yes maybe, nylon rudders for back up. just in case. ~$300 for a pair of rudders.

Hobie 21 SC Part List can be found on line as you likely know...

https://foghmarine.com/hobie-21sc-part-locator.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips folks. She's now safe at my friends house and all mine. It's killing me not to be able to see/sail it yet, but I'll have to wait. I'm wondering what you all think about trailering for 1600 miles where many of those miles are not-great roads (bumpy, pot holes, etc.). The boat just sits on rollers so pretty point loaded with just 4 spots of hull. Would it be a good idea to get cradles or pad underneath the hulls? I don't plan on traveling with it very often so don't want to spend a bundle on the trailer (beyond tires, hubs, and lights), but definitely want to deliver her to La Paz without damage.

Thanks again,
Damien Campbell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Temporary cradles or pads would be a very good idea. At a minimum rubber rollers will scuff up the hulls. At worst the rollers may damage the fiberglass. Use 1/2" plywood and cut out some 1' wide by 2' long pieces. Attach some old carpet to it. Drill 4 holes, one at each corner. When you get the boat slip the plywood soft side up between the hulls and the rollers. Use the holes to tie it to the rollers and or the boat.

Most Cat trailers are way oversprung for the load they actually carry. My H16 trailer rode the nicest when I had it loaded up with over 1000lbs of lumber. Normally I just have a 330lb boat on the trailer and it is a stiff bouncy ride. When you pick up your boat have a look at the springs. Have someone sit on the transom of one hull, this should roughly double the load from the boat on that side of the trailer axle. If the springs hardly compress consider strapping some of your gear onto the trailer for the return trip. If this test uses up about half of the remaining travel, do a little jiggle cause you got one of the few well sprung trailers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool, I really like the idea of making inexpensive boards with plywood and carpet. That makes perfect sense to me. I was looking at purchasing cradles and they're very expensive besides not being made specific to these hulls. There's so much stuff out there for other models. I'm really surprised that the SC didn't sell very well. Seems like the perfect boat for fun when racing isn't the primary fun to be had. I love racing and the more intense the better, but my wife says that I am no fun to be around while racing. She's probably right.

Thanks again,
Damien Campbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, use some flat pieces of wood and several layers of old carpet to make some quick bunks. I would suggest using something heavier than 1/2” plywood though. When doing this in the past, I have used 2x_ lumber. I also agree that the bunk needs to be attached to the trailer or it will vibrate out from under the hull.

sm