Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top 5 leak locations
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All, both my SE hulls leak at the rate of about 1 gallon per hour during sailing. There are no obvious cracks or holes in the boat. Are there any common leak locations that I should take a closer look at ??

Post subject: Re: Top 5 leak locations
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pull out the wing seats....fill tubes with water....wait overnight and see if water level drops....I used a small fan to blow air into the hulls at the access port and witness small air bubbles in the wing tube. When I went to repair, I simply flips over that small fan as to exhaust air from the hulls and watched the repair resin get sucked into a small hole. Wow....problem fixed.

Also look closely at the dagger board wells...sometimes a small rock might have punctured a hole within the well near the bottom.

Another area of leaks is most likely at the access ports. Slightly pressurize the hulls and use some soapy water...look for bubbles. I have replaced my access ports many times over the 31 years I owned my boat.
I now use the hinged twist-n-seal access ports....no loosing the lids. :wink: You will need to increase the hole size by about 3/16" and build up the deck profile to match the footprint on the twist-n-seal ports. These new ports do slightly leak but not very much. 100% better that the original access ports.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Bill, many thanks for the advice. The wing bar holes appear to be watertight. I do suspect the centre board casing, possibly the the spring retaining bolt or the the pivot point of the centre board. Although I am not sure whether the latter fixings go all the way through to the inside of the hull? The access hatches are a quite likely candidate they do look a bit tired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also check where the trampoline track attaches to the hulls. The rivets that hold it in place can loosen up allowing water in. As Bill mentioned, double check the wing sockets.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California