Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

New 21SC owner and already planning on exploring local islands and beaches with my kids this summer.

Living in the Pacific North West our coastline is typically rocky with occasional sandy beaches. The sandy beaches we do have are coarse sand with rocks and shells.

While I do not intend on approaching any locations at full ramming speed, I can see the occasional misjudgment of either approach angle or speed that will have me run up on the sand.

The boat is in beautiful shape after some extensive work by a member of this board and I would hate to cause unnecessary wear.

Has anyone used hull protection of any kind?

Am I worrying too much? Would I be better to just use the boat and plan on some serious hull maintenance every few years?

Kind regards,

Jordan

Apologies if this is well covered on the forum. I did a few searches and came up empty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you’re only going to be gently running up on the beach occasionally, I would not be too worried. Hobie hulls are built tough. You might end up with some light scratches, but they will be on the bottom of the hull, so are unlikely to be visible. Just inspect the hulls from time to time and plan on painting on some gelcoat at some point if the fiberglass starts to show through. Note that it generally takes years of repeated heavy beaching and dragging the boat across the sand before you would need to do a bottom job. If you are only lightly putting the bows on the sand, chances are you may never need a bottom job.

At one point in time, Hobie also made beach slides for the 21SC that could be rolled up and stored in the hulls. It was essentially just some short lengths of 2”PVC pipe screwed about a foot apart to a strip of fabric that could be unrolled on the sand to protect the hull and provide a slippery surface to slide the boat up the beach. It would be pretty easy to recreate something similar.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I was hoping that was the answer.

When I was in my early twenties we often rented H16s that were beach launched. They had difficult lives (being rented to twenter-year-olds!) but I always thought the hulls were in fine shape.

A couple of years later I got a chance to crew on a Tornado and the skipper was militant about the hulls never touching sand as he said they would be easily damaged.

With advice from both sides, I was at a loss. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

As noted, I will take it easy and keep an eye on the hulls.

Thanks again,

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jordan124 wrote:
Thanks! I was hoping that was the answer.

When I was in my early twenties we often rented H16s that were beach launched. They had difficult lives (being rented to twenter-year-olds!) but I always thought the hulls were in fine shape.

A couple of years later I got a chance to crew on a Tornado and the skipper was militant about the hulls never touching sand as he said they would be easily damaged.

With advice from both sides, I was at a loss. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

As noted, I will take it easy and keep an eye on the hulls.

Thanks again,

Jordan

Tornados, Nacras etc are much more "Tender" than a Hobie. Depending on where you are planning to be beaching (out and about or from the days launch area) I used to have a couple of 2x4's with about a foot of carpet wrapped on each end for use at our local lake that had a rocky beach. Put one by the waters edge and one up the beach a ways. Hit shallow water, off the boat, grab the striker and pull it up on the first board...then keep on going and set it down on both boards. Saved a lot of bottom wear on a boat I was both racing and play sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
....Hobie also made beach slides for the 21SC that could be rolled up and stored in the hulls.

Quote:
I used to have a couple of 2x4's with about a foot of carpet wrapped on each end for use at our local lake that had a rocky beach. Put one by the waters edge and one up the beach a ways.

I was thinking of keeping 4 well-inflated bumpers in the hull that I could use for docking or to roll the boat if needed.

Has anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A bigger concern than damage is getting the boat up the beach far enough. The boat is heavy to drag across the sand. Also watch out for rocks and shells getting up in the center board trunks. The PVC slides is a great option. I have used PVC pipe segments as a slide and they work great. Also keep the center boards out of the sand. Also used vinyl lattice to store my boat at the water edge.

But you have a great boat for the exploring you are planning to do. Enjoy it.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 21SC weighs 600lbs, compared to 340lbs for a H16. As a result the hulls will take more of a beating. Also it is much harder to drag.

Solution: PVC beach slides. Hobie offered them with the 21SC, but you can make your own. It takes a little getting used to sliding the boat on them as the boat slides sideways just as readily as it slides forwards. Not bad once you get used to it. They fit easily in the hull compartments and make it much easier to drag the boat free of the water. My PVC slides come with me on every trip and sometimes chose them over cat-tracks when both are handy.

Occasionally you will drag the hulls across the bottom, it's OK, it is not a tender tornado and gelcoat can be repaired. Enjoy your camping trips.

Also, I recommend adding a small propane grill that mounts off the wings. It really takes your "raids" to the next level.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
The PVC slides is a great option. I have used PVC pipe segments as a slide and they work great.

Quote:
PVC beach slides. Hobie offered them with the 21SC, but you can make your own.

Any have any pictures they can share? I have seen the Hobie one in the promo video and it looks a little bulky.

I am imagining something like a PVC rope latter that can be rolled up for storage and unrolled as needed...

Quote:
Also, I recommend adding a small propane grill that mounts off the wings. It really takes your "raids" to the next level.

YES! I have a little SS BBQ that I plan to take along. The idea is for some beach cooking but will keep the mount in mind.

I LOVE this "raid" concept. I had not heard of this before and stumbled across several French videos of group raids on YouTube. What a great idea! Have a van that carries everyone's stuff and sail as a group from place to place to meet up for a BBQ and party. Just like bicycle touring, but, slower, and much cooler (because it's sailing!).

Cheers,

Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PVC slides are a piece of vinyl 15" wide by 140" long. It is a similar weight of vinyl to the tramp, maybe a little thinner. Attached to the vinyl are 12 13" long 1.5" OD PVC pipes. The pipes are attached to the vinyl using a short length of rope which passes through the pipe and secures to the vinyl in a grommet with a stopper knot.

Bundled up the rollers are 10" in diameter by 15" tall. They easily store in the hull compartments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jc8LtI ... sp=sharing

Here is my setup with attached grill. Since this picture was taken I have improved the grill mount to hold the grill higher so it clears waves when it is on the downwind side. I recommend the lightest cheapest grill available. The fancy boat grills often weigh a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

does the boat really slide across those things well? I will definitely make me some if they really work for the same reasons. Plus, it's just a bear to shove it off back into the water without beach wheels in the surf.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keel Guards? https://www.amazon.com/PereGuard-Kayak- ... GR974?th=1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
PVC slides are a piece of vinyl 15" wide by 140" long. It is a similar weight of vinyl to the tramp, maybe a little thinner. Attached to the vinyl are 12 13" long 1.5" OD PVC pipes. The pipes are attached to the vinyl using a short length of rope which passes through the pipe and secures to the vinyl in a grommet with a stopper knot.

Bundled up the rollers are 10" in diameter by 15" tall. They easily store in the hull compartments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jc8LtI ... sp=sharing

Thanks for this! Very helpful.

Your boat looks great! The ultimate adventure cat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
does the boat really slide across those things well? I will definitely make me some if they really work for the same reasons. Plus, it's just a bear to shove it off back into the water without beach wheels in the surf.

The boat slides a lot easier on PVC than it does on rocks or sand. If you plan to beach your 21SC where you don't have cat trax they are your best option. They would work well on lighter boats as well, but aren't as essential.

Since the rollers are 15' long and the boat isn't... there are some tricks you should know. When beaching the boat position the rollers such that they start just above the water line and extend up the beach. Pull the boat in bows first, lifting the bows to hold the boat in wheelie position. Wheelie the bows onto the rollers and pull the boat up. After a few feet you may not need to lift the bows at all while pulling. It may help to lift the sterns if the bows are on but the sterns are dragging. Once the boat is about 10' up the beach you will need to lift the bows again. Continue lifting and pulling until the daggerboard trunks pass the last roller. Move around to the back, lift the sterns and pull out the rollers. Move around to the front, lift the bows and position the rollers as far back as you can get them. Move around to the back, lift the sterns and push the boat. When the bows start dragging on the beach stop pushing from the back, run around to the front and start lifting and pushing until the daggerboard trunks pass the last roller. Repeat as needed.

-If you have 4 people, have two of them stand on either side of the boat to control sideslip. Also have them push.
-Go straight up or straight down slopes. It is difficult to control sideslip.
-Don't leave a boat parked on the rollers if heavy weather is possible.