Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It would be nice to reduce the width of my 21SE to 8 and 1/2 feet, permanently, or rather semi-permanently, so I wouldn't have to mess with expanding and collapsing the boat.q

So, what are the cons of such a modification? I know I loose speed and righting moment, but is that all? Not racing other 21se's and not looking to be that competitive, just fun.

Ideas?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat would certainly be “tippier.” I would think you will likely need to reduce sail area and possibly mast length/weight - something more along the lines of a 21SC or Hobie 20.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

True -not so difficult; but an ARC-21 has 33 feet of mast and similar sail plan.

Wonder about loss of performance, however. Would I, a non-racer, who would still go to regattas notice? I forgot the SC is an 8.5 width beam cat... What a perfect comparison...duh. Still, hate to give up stick height...

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ChuckC wrote:
True -not so difficult; but an ARC-21 has 33 feet of mast and similar sail plan.

Wonder about loss of performance, however. Would I, a non-racer, who would still go to regattas notice? I forgot the SC is an 8.5 width beam cat... What a perfect comparison...duh. Still, hate to give up stick height...

I can only speak as a 21sc sailor. It's really nice not having to mess with adjusting the width of the boat. The wings also offer a huge advantage over a cat that's still just 8.5' wide. It maybe worth a try sailing with the narrower boat and just reef the sail or use a slightly smaller sail. There's a guy that was selling his H21se mast and sails on Facebook not long ago. He converted his 21se to a H18 mast and sail. Sounded like the conversion worked out.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Certainly followed that conversion with interest; in case I dropped the mast (God forbid) and broke the comp tip. It did appear to work well for him. Problem with "just trying it" is that I would likely need a new trampoline; not a 100% exciting proposition. With the SE being listed at 9.5 wide the difference really isn't much, which also begs the question: why?