Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have tried locating a comptip luff track replacement for my 21sc and there was no luck. My best chances are, from what I could find, choosing between the H16 luff track 93" or CompTip Luff Track 87″ (No H16) that I saw on the Murrays website.
https://www.murrays.com/product/50-38584001/

Which one should I get?? the 87" looks has a more tougher/stronger built. The other boat models were too short and won't work unless i join them which I don't want. My plan is to cut either the 93" or more than likely the 87" to the desired size (36"
if I'm not mistaken).

My only concern is which on of the two will fit properly on the comptip on the 21SC. Any suggestions or hopes to where I can find the original luff track.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

The Hobie 16 track only fits the H16.

For the rest, the Hobie Wave track is universal. You must add the aluminum section at the top for 17, 18, and 21. That also holds the sail in place much better.

Buy the parts from an authorized dealer. Murrays buys parts from dealers and re-sells.

https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

LUFF TRACK 38584000

H18 & 21 MUST ADD 50404101 12" ALUM UPDATES FOR OVER ALL LENGTH (may be hard to find, so another section of plastic track would be required.)

H17 and H17 Sport Mast Requires 50404111 (14.8") update

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I measure 36" of plastic luff track above that there's a metal track and also below of it. Hobie 18 luff track only measures 12.5" so i dont think it would work. i dont want to have multiple joined pieces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I measure 36" of plastic luff track above that there's a metal track and also below of it. Hobie 18 luff track only measures 12.5" so i dont think it would work. i dont want to have multiple joined pieces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For the 21s, making the top of the luff track out of 2 adjoining 12" (or whatever size they are), pieces of aluminum track ends up being a must, otherwise the sail ends up pulling out. Originally they came with one section, but many of us found the bolt rope pulling through the plastic piece of luff track immediately below it. Cutting down the plastic luff and adding another section of aluminum cures that. One tip-where the two pieces join, there's a flair to ensure smooth running of the bolt rope. A new, tight bolt might pull out at this joint, but it's super easy to bend the aluminum corners in ever so slightly to stop it coming out when hoisting the sail.