Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How big a motor?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 2hp Honda on my 21SE and it pushes the boat just fine but it's anoisy little dude, air cooled and all. Its on one of those cheata brackets, welded on, and they claim good for 35 lbs.
Any good QUIET small motors out there under 35 lbs? I was on a small Cat that had a 10hp Tohatsu and it was almost silent, nice motor, way too big for me but that's the direction I want to go.

Post subject: Motor for Hobie SC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought an SC with an electric motor. It runs off of 2 12 volt gel cell batteries in series. Very quiet, and strong enough to move the boat pretty well, even into the wind. It is used in a fresh water application. I'm looking for a solar charger for the batteries. Easier than pulling them out and taking them home for a recharge.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used that setup for awhile and loved the quiet operation but found it could not push against a strong wind or last much more than a couple miles. I needed the power for bigger seas and a seven mile run home if becalmed. Much less aggravation overall and close to the same weight with battery and all.
Solar chargers are OK but slow and expensive. You've also got to regulate the charge so you also need a regulator and all the attendant wiring. Gel Cells are fussy about being cherged the wrong way, you can ruin them easily if overcharged. Check Northern Tools, I would use one of the flexible ones.