Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair of internal leak
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a four year old i12S that has developed an internal leak.

Using soapy water there are no bubbles on the exterior and none around the valves.

When I open the hatch after inflating there is notable release of air pressure.

When water is introduced to the interior via the forward hatch, after a certain level is reached bubbles can clearly be heard. I am assuming there may be a seam that came unglued.

I am willing to try the repair, but am open to suggestions as to how to find and then get to the internal leak. What is the structure of the center air chamber?

If the repair is not successful (as I am guessing from other posts here may be the case), are the i12s still in production?

Given that we have the drives for the 12i, which other units might the able to use these drive units? (ie; what other current production models could utilize the drive units from a 2014 i12s?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response.
My focus on the center chamber is due to the fact that is the chamber that goes flat.... it

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

is anyone able to clue me in as to the structure of the center tube?
is it a self contained tube, or does it use the outer hull and deck as part of the structure? (in other words, is there a complete tube in the hull, or just "walls / ends" glued to the other chambers?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like a good source of information.

But where / how do I find the mentioned archives?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After making two incisions in the hull. and filling it with water, i think i have found the culprit. Now I need some additional advice.

The bubbles were found at the point where the center bladder attaches to a tube at the stern of the kayak. There is an identical tube attached in the forward storage compartment. I am assuming that these tubes are there to provide some support / structure for the areas not directly shaped by the inflated tubes/bladder.

The tubes appear to be attached by a form fitting (heat shrink?) tape. I hope to be able to get by without removing and replacing or reinstalling the tube / bladder joint. Seems, if I could identify the right product, I would be able tape right over the current tape, extending the area covered by the original tape.

My question is what do I use to accomplish this?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am glad to report that the internal leak can be repaired. The material needed to facilitate the patch is the same PVC fabric that the kayak is made from, and the key is some good PVC glue.

It took a good bit of effort to work in the limited space, sometimes working by feel, but after applying two patches, it is holding air three days after pumping it up with no signs of leakage.

Now to repair the incisions made to access the leak....