Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi - I'm a german owner of a i14t since nearly 10 years and a i9s from 2015 and here in the forum for the first time ... Mostly I could help myself, but for two questions I did not find an answer: there are different versions of the MirageDrive from V1 to the new 180 - but what about different holes in the hull of the boat? (don't know the right name for it) Does the different drive versions all fit to the same, never changed hull hole?
Second: I have to think about some replacements - does the GT-parts with bearings fit to the existing steel axles/shafts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Any drive will fit. Just have to remove any alignment pins from the spine if from a plastic kayak. Some older kayaks may require a slight filing of the fairing on newer drives to fit the well.

GT parts are the standard replacements for all older drives.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the nice features of the Hobie Mirage Drive is the backwards compatibility. Any drive tends to fit any boat. Not easy to accomplish given the many improvements to the drive over the years, but Hobie managed to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
have to remove any alignment pins from the spine if from a plastic kayak

The i14t is an inflatable - no real possibility for "slight filing".
I understand both replys that way, that the new drives fit to my "old" hull holes and the GT parts fit to the diameters of my "old" steel axles/shafts.

Unfortunately my attached picture is not visible (linked it to a dropbox file) - I wanted to show, that sprockets and masts are V1 and the upper parts are V2. But I now understand, the the compatibility is existing.

Thank you both!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Any required filing would be on the drive... not the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone successfully installed a current 180 drive with kick up fins into a pre 2012 Hobie kayak? I have a 2010 Mirage Sport and I have no problem cutting off alignment pins and trimming the splash faring, but I keep hearing that the drive still might not fit and/or the fins might not be able to work properly...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

***UPDATE*** Yesterday I went to the nearest Hobie dealer (Backyard Boats in Annapolis, MD). First they cut the alignment pins off of an old warranty return MD 180 with kick up chassis, and it fit my 2010 Mirage sport perfectly with no additional modifications. Then we did the same on a new MD180 with kick up and standard fins -- it works great and the fit is actually better that the original drive. The original had a little rocking front to back when installed, and the new MD180 fits in like a glove :-)

If anyone has the same concern about a new drive fitting in an older Hobie Kayak, and you live anywhere near Maryland, Backyard Boats has a drive chassis that's already cut to test. You could also come to my house in Columbia, MD and test fit my drive; just message me...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

JeffreyHartz wrote:
went to the nearest Hobie dealer (Backyard Boats in Annapolis, MD).

Wow, looks like Backyard Boats is now mostly a Hobie dealer (both for kayak and sailboats). Their Virginia branch used to be on the water in Alexandria long, long ago and had the most exciting boat showroom I ever saw. Had crazy things like those Australian monohulls with hiking tramps cantilevered on either side, I guess for cosmopolitan DC customers. I suppose you could slide boats a few feet from the showroom to Potomac river. If I didn't move away, I would probably have had my paycheck direct deposited there.