Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I have to pick up a 2020 i9s, an I-Sail, Mirage Drive With Turbo Fins, and a Mirage Drive Bag, etc.

It's a long drive to the dealer, and I want to make sure I have the right size vehicle to put everything in.

The dimensions I have for this gear are:

-2020 i9s suitcase: mm 700 x 625 x 400 (27.5 x 24.6 x 15.75”)

-Mirage Drive with Turbo Fins: 33 x 14.5”

-Mirage Drive Bag: approximately 35 x 16”

I also understand the I-Sail should be able to be broken down to fit into any I-Series Bag, which would mean the pieces are no longer than 27.5 inches. Is that correct?

If all of these dimensions are correct, it seems like even just a standard sedan would work for hauling the gear.

There a bunch of smaller items I also need to pick up from the dealer, but I think these are all the big items I need to make sure can fit.

Let me know what kind of vehicle is necessary to haul this gear, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used to carry mine in a small hatchback with space to spare. The awkward part is the fin pedals which stick out crossways to the width of the fins. That is, you would add over a foot of thickness to your fin bag dimension. Probably you can tuck it anywhere, but you don't want to squash it. At worst you could remove the pedals. I did not have the rigid seat, so am not sure how compact those fold.

If you had a crazy small trunk, you could open the main bag and snake the hull among the back seats. A lot of dimensions depend on if the dealer ever unpacked stuff. It comes super compact from the factory, but the first few times it is set up it fills the bag tightly due to stiffness of the hull or sail. Maybe take pictures how it is originally packed. But later it will get more flexible and pack any old way easily. With possible exception of the sail pack which I always keep twice the minimum length yet it's bag is still tight, maybe only because I keep the rope internal.

You might not be offered your original non turbo fins or the non sailing rudder, so I would make a point of asking for them as backups. Your dealer may by default charge a setup fee to install the new ones, so you could (or shouldn't?) ask them to leave it to you.

So basically I think that most of even the smallest cars could carry 2 of these. Hey, why don't you ask if they can throw in any extra i12s or i9s in your car for me. Seriously, if you end up not liking your i9s let's talk. Maybe your dealer has 2020 i11s or eventually an itrek that you end up preferring.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mugen wrote:
I also understand the I-Sail should be able to be broken down to fit into any I-Series Bag, which would mean the pieces are no longer than 27.5 inches. Is that correct?

My sail bag is packed at almost 5 feet long. It probably can be shorter, but I tend to leave battens in place which restricts how the sail can be folded down. The bag can actually extend twice as long presumably for even less takedown, but I find 5 feet is a nice size to lash alongside your kayak while at sea. Note these come with a lot of rope that you could use to tie any extra kayaks from your dealer to your roof :)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. Seems like almost any vehicle can transport this gear, except for maybe a Smart Car, or something extremely small.

I know the dealer unpacked the i9s to test it, but it doesn't seem like that will affect anything.

I will definitely pick up the Regular Fins and the Regular Rudder, since I paid for those items. I'm pretty sure they're not charging a setup fee. They're giving me a good deal, and doing a lot for me.

I know I got the last 2020 i9s that Hobie had, and I got it because I want to be able to sail, but good luck looking for an older i9s or i12s. Lancaster Marine is the only other place I know of that had a 2020 i9s.

And thanks for the tip on the Sail Bag. 5 feet seems like a good length, but it's also good to know it can become shorter if necessary, for hauling in a compact vehicle.