Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went out on lake on Tuesday.....everything was fine. Went out late morning on Wednesday and couldn't get the drive to go into the hole! Spent an hour down at lakeside. Then hauled the boat back up to our campsite. It was like the drive had grown! So the only thing we can figure is that the hull were you drop the drive into swelled. Looking at the hull and boat...you can not tell there is anything wrong. There is nothing that bulges out...the contouring looks and feels the same on each side.
My dealer took a look at it and asked if my drive was the same drive that came with the boat...yes it was! So I have a Hobie that I can't peddle any more!!
Any idea....and what do I do now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 am 
Site Admin

The i-11 can get overinflated which presses in on the well. That may have happened. Warm day? Let the air out of the hull and use something to wedge the well wider at the center point. Let it sit in the warmth and then cool it with water... then remove the wedge.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1st...I have had my Hobie since June 2019. It has been out in hot weather (hotter!) Many times....it's a boat...I use it in the summer.

2nd.... I'm a 4'11". 63 year old female. I don't weigh that much so most of the time when I am inflating my boat... I put 5 to 5.5 in the center and 2.5 on the sides knowing it will raise in pressure as the day warms. I usually check the pressures in the afternoon if the temperature raises above 80.

3rd.... There is NO way I am going to try and wedge something into the hull area!! What if it becomes too big...then I damage or break my drive!!

4.... Even by doing this...I don't see it being a permanent fix to the problem.

I bought a Hobie because they make great boats! :(
I have used this boat for 1 and 1/2 summers...maybe 25 days total. I shouldn't have to be ' MacGyvering' this boat!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

See your dealer to file a claim. Our warranty manager can advise.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same issue with an i9 purchased last year. Finally took it out for a spin this year after it being stored - had real trouble removing the drive - next trip, the drive just wouldn't fit period. It's like the rubber shrank. I got the plug in - but just barely. The kayak was subjected to full sun as we had it on our truck for a couple of days but heck that shouldn't matter!
Can that rubber be heated slightly to reform? Is there a solution besides going back to where we bought it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my Hobie to the business I bought it from....
They used a deflated basketball inserted into the well or hull area. Then started pumping up the ball. The first time they did it within 6 hours it had expanded back out. So they did it again and left the basketball in there for a little bit and also had deflated the center chamber so that there wasn't any outside pressure on the well. I am heading out for two weeks on a huge beautiful Lake and I'm taking a basketball with me just in case because I really don't think this is going to be a full-time.

Good luck! And from my understanding I'm going to have to keep my boat out of the Sun from now on!!! :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

This has to do with a supplier error on the floor construction/diameter of the hole in combination with a change to the well to accept the alignment pin system on the drives. The slots created a fold/flex point and the small oval is pressing in on the well. Heat and pressure combine to distort the well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guess I'll try the basketball trick. Unless there's another solution. The plug fits now, but the drive still does not.
Is there another solution? It seems to be that the metal pins don't have room to slide down. I'm frustrated with this 3k boat which I've only had a year...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had the boat out on the water for two weeks and thank God didn't have any more problems with the drive not fitting. The first several days out on the Water the Drive felt a little loose. As the days went on it kept getting a little Tighter and Tighter. But I still could with a little pressure install the drive. Now on the other hand because of the monkey around with the basketball to expand the area to allow the drive to go down in it intern messed up or warped the backside so I can no longer use my wheels. So I cannot handle my boat by myself anymore!!!
I guess you pick your battles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 am 
Site Admin

It's a major issue... there are no replacements available due to our new vendor quality issues and all the rejected stock. I believe we are looking at next winter now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am struggling with the same issue. I have a Mirage i14t

Here is my work around routine:
1 - I used a scissor jack from a car and carefully expanded the well when the kayak was out of the water and hot in the sun. I left it overnight with the jack in. (Only need to do this once)
2 - I cut a couple 2x4's to a 6 inch length blocks, then tapered one end on each block.
3 - I took the jack out and inserted a block to keep it expanded.
4 - Repeat that step for the other well with a second block.
5 - Then, when the kayak is in the water and the well temp drops, I remove the blocks and the drives slip right in. When removing the kayak from the water after going out, I take the drives out and put the blocks back in and then remove kayak from the water.

Now I keep the blocks in the wells anytime I am not actively using the kayak. The routine of swapping the blocks with the drive once in the water is now a relatively simple/predictable way to manage this.

I wish there was a better actual fix for this, but at least in the meantime I have returned to absolutely loving my i14t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your method! We are going to try the 2x4's to keep it expanded because it definitely continues to tighten back up. Can you fold it and get it into the case with the 2x4's in it! I still will have to always go with someone else to help me with the boat because my wheels will not fit into the holes underneath by the well anymore but like I said, at least we can still use it.

I am looking at the new lynx..... I am way too gun-shy to get another inflatable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not tried folding the kayak and putting it back in the case yet.That being said the 6" blocks really don't stick out much. And they could be shorter if need be - there isn't anything special about 6" vs some other length.

For the wheels, I don't have the kind that go into the holes but it is worth checking if they fit after the expansion like the drives do. I have the Ctug wheels with the straps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
This has to do with a supplier error on the floor construction/diameter of the hole in combination with a change to the well to accept the alignment pin system on the drives. The slots created a fold/flex point and the small oval is pressing in on the well. Heat and pressure combine to distort the well.

Hello, since my boat has developed the same symptoms has Hobie developed a solution for this problem? Since it's a company confirmed manufacture failure what is the plan to move forward? Wedging self-made stuff in the drive well with the risk of damaging it and not resulting in a permanent fix can't be it. I see the risk that in the end the customer will be blamed for doing whatever wrong and ending up with a damaged/useless boat.

Cheers Aspe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First thing....contact the Hobie dealer you bought the boat from. From my understanding, Hobie doesn't deal with the consumer! In my case, Hobie wouldn't replace it. I was 1 week after my two year warranty when this started!
It makes me mad and I would never buy another Hobie. I tell people that when they ask about my boat ..... I love my boat but hate the company and to be aware that Hobie does not back their products!

I have used my boat a lot since this happened. It's a pain in the butt but it works! I have to use the ball about every other week. I started using a football instead of a basketball because I started having problems with the length of the hole. Like the basketball was making the area too round. Because it's summer and warm I try to let the temperature of the day do most of the work. I was told to use hot water on it...expand the ball...leave it for a bit then use ice cold water to get it to set. I'm afraid I'm making the plastic hard and brittle so that is why I'm trying to do it more natural. Heat of the day...expand the ball then let it sit until the next morning.
Also, my son worked on the bottom and got the wheels to go in again so now when ever I'm working on the boat, I put the wheels in.

Now I'm trying to justify spending $300.00 on the rudder replacement to put on a dying boat!!!!

Good luck and if you find out anything more, let us know!