Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In 2014 I bought a new inflatable Hobie Mirage pedal kayak. I used it regularly for 2 four month seasons in a fresh water lake. In 2016 I deflated it and packed it away in my garage. I have not used it since. Is it likely to have dangerously deteriorated in these conditions? Are the seams designed to last in these conditions. Thank you. Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bet you won't get any definitive answer because it varies so extremely. Only once did I see a number mentioned here, that could about retire your craft now. But why speculate; the failure mode is likely so forgiving that you can just judiciously use it until the floor probably develops a slow leak. Your seat and the drive gets wobbly but the side chambers float you home.

Deflated time is probably less of an issue than an inordinate amount of inflated time. Another risk factor is if you have the big enclosed bow storage chamber like on the i12s then. I think they took it out of i14t earlier and maybe i9s never had it. Those had complex inaccessible seams. The scuppers also seem to be leak hazards which they all probably had that year.

If you wanna sell it, I need a sail mount. The postage would be huge but maybe you would want to accompany it to this warm winter place on vacation and leave it with me afterward :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I am looking to sell it, but I don't want to sell anyone a lemon, especially a potentially dangerous lemon. I live about 2 hours north of San Francisco. are you within driving distance?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You should test pump it up, then include it in your baggage for honolulu. Mirage drive not needed, which I hear is in high demand for separate sale anyway.