Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transport i11s question
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. If I fold the seats down, my i11s will fit in my Sienna van while inflated with a couple of inches to spare. I would like to transport it inside the van in a mostly inflated state, saving time loading and unloading. Does anyone do this. My first experiments, using a tarp, are awkward. The yak doesn’t slide well on the tarp material. I am hoping someone has already figured this out.
My goal is for the van not to take on a river/marsh/pond smell and to not have to constantly fold/unfold the kayak

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards, Craig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I created a pvc frame with pool noodle rollers slightly above the folded front and middle seats of my 2004 Sienna. Strained my brain. More to do, but I think it will work. Bungeed the frame to the middle seat bottom to stabilize it. Tomorrow I will set tarps and plastic under the frame and covering the seats and carpet. Weather permitting, I’ll put the boat in the water and test it out tomorrow.
If it is good I will post a pic.
Ciao

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, it works ok, but I do not know if it is worth a pic. The third row seats fold into the floor in the back of the van. I wanted to keep the middle row seats in the van, did not have a good place to store them. Built a frame using one inch and one-half inch pvc that rolls at top on one inch noodle covered Pvc. The frame has the rollers in front of and behind the middle row seats on top of two tarps which cover the floor and seats under the kayak. Rough, but functional. The i11s pretty much fills up the interior, but fits comfortably. When the kayak is in, I have a stool that fits to support the rear end until I find a crate or cooler and make it work.
If I need to pull the frame and tarps out, it takes about 5 minutes out and the same to put it back in. For now it will mostly stay in the van.

If anyone does want pics, email me at [email protected].

Best option, get a truck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FYI, transporting in the was van too much of a PIA. I like the kayak. Started with a Rev 13. Wanted a bigger, more stable platform for photography. 13 was sweet. For me the i11s is sweeter. Caveat, I only do small waters and mild weather. Rivers and marshes.
I recently tried out a Compass and Lynx. Liked both, but not enough to switch, plus have ordered the new rudder upgrade kit, which resolves one of my negatives. I am not a fan of the i11s rudder system.
Transporting: recently have been using a small utility trailer. Not happy, too much bouncing around. Spoke to a Hobie Fishing Team member who is using an iTrek 11 this season and he car tops it, so that will be my next modis operendi. My furthest launch point is about one hour. I’ll have to pay close attention to the heat expansion.
Hobie touts their inflatables for travel. I decided early on that I wanted mine to last and store it on an elevated flat surface in a garage about 2/3 inflated. No folding.
If my big green disappears, I would replace it with a lynx. Unsinkable. JMO.
TFROFCINTTAFC 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I generally keep 3 inflatables in the vehicle folded up, so it is like a golf bag where I can pull out the watertoy suitable for conditions I find on arrival. Oddly during my brief foray into golf I would do the whole course with only a 3 or 4 iron. Anyway that leaves room in the house for another 9 inflatables/foldables/modulars which populate every living-room chair, etc since there is no dedicated storage space. This is after I downsized and sold my 2 biggest portable watercraft, altho have one more on order.

Dedication is having enough inflatables so that you are losing about $10 a day due to seam ageing overall. Little room for visitors at home. Having so little space left in your vehicle that groceries only fit in your passenger door which can barely open due to close parking. Having to break down that 50 pack of toilet paper or whatever to individual items to tuck out of the way of vision - that is devotion to inflatables.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LOL, they do take up space.
I surfed for years and did enjoy rolling up to the beach, grabbing my board off the truck and heading out into the water. Coming back in involved a little rinse off and away I went.
Trying to make the Hobie kayak process simpler.

Kit arrived. No instructions. It is that simple. After removing the existing twist and stow rudder the new mount clamps onto the existing holes. It is a two piece, top and bottom. Did not notice that without my see close glasses. Go slow and it’ll might take a half-hour.

The new rudder is larger. Will test it out tomorrow. On call tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i11s rudder upgrade:

Excellent
Improved manuverability on water
Easier, more reliable rudder up / down
Removing from boat for transport makes boat easier for me to transport and shaves a few pounds off for loading / unloading

I found the original rudder system quirky and temperamental