Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie, Seaeagle, and other inflatable boat companies selling drop stitch inflatables seem to recommend keeping your boat folded up in its case during the off-season/long-term storage. Both manuals also say you can store your boat inflated in a cool, dry, safe place but recommend its storage case as the top option. (I think Seaeagle even has a video from the founder saying: "The safest place for your Seaeagle inflatable is inside its bag.")

After seeing some other comments here and elsewhere, I'm wondering if this is actually the "best" option or just the one that gives most customers a chance at not screwing up their boat. Common sense seems to suggest that folding a boat with tight creases and all packed up tightly for months at a time may not be the best option, but it is hard to ignore the official recs.

What do you think the BEST option would be (specifically for an expensive iTrek 11 I'm hoping to get as many years of life out of possible?)

1. Keep it in folded tight its bag just like it says on the tin
2. Keep it deflated, but loosely folded on a big shelf (not in it cramped bag)
3. Keep it inflated in an indoor space at its normal psi
4. Keep it loosely inflated at 1-2 psi in an indoor space

Curious what others think -- from Oct. to Dec. I had it loosely rolled up on a shelf (deflated) but since Christmas it has been its bag and I have to admit looking nervously at it from time-to-time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tough crowd, don't everybody chime it at once :lol:

For now I'm going back to #2 for no reason other than it seems "better" somehow (and I don't have a lot of space indoors to just keep it loosely inflated.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was going to say less than normal psi, but can you loosely "roll" it up?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's what I've done for now -- it is rolled up in a single roll (no folds), instead of the tight tri-fold that is required to get the outer chambers to fit inside the storage bag. This is actually how I store it for for use during most of the boating season because it is so much easier than trying to fold it, I just roll it up and put a buckle strap on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hopefully, over time, some long term owners will chime in with their experiences.

The recommendation I follow with my i11s is laid out flat and partially inflated. Over winter when not in use I am lucky to be able to store in the house. In spring, summer and fall when in use I keep it in a shaded garage partially inflated laid on “event” tables, plastic top with metal legs that fold under.

Mouse baits, mice might like the glue.

I keep it about 3/4 inflated and check the inflation daily on warm/hot days.

Avoid extreme heat, think enclosed garage in summer Florida.