Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From a river to the sea.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a newbie at all of this , but my intention is to get an i9 very soon , and use it for fishing rivers , and also to go from the river to the sea.
Go to http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569375019TWsIAk , hopefully , if I've got it right , it will show the river.
Do you experienced people see any traps for a newbie , in that entrance ?.
Regards Rob j.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ddriver wrote:
I'm a newbie at all of this , but my intention is to get an i9 very soon , and use it for fishing rivers , and also to go from the river to the sea.
Go to http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569375019TWsIAk , hopefully , if I've got it right , it will show the river.
Do you experienced people see any traps for a newbie , in that entrance ?.
Regards Rob j.

G'day Rob

I would be concerned about the depth of the river as shown. You may find the mirage drive does not have enough water under the hull. I would slip the bungy onto the mirage at this point and use the paddle, until I was clear of the surf. First day out I would chose a real calm day :lol: Good luck and have fun.

Tasman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G/Day Tasman.
I've waded through all of it , the shallowest is about 14 inches deep , but the previous high tide was twice that height.
I'll try learning shallow peddling , and paddling , and peddle/paddling in the quieter waters , before I attempt it.
Regards Rob J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Could someone please tell me the depth that the flippers work at ?.
Regards Rob j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day Rob

The standard fins are 285mm long and the ST Turbo fins are 340mm long. This gives you some idea about the amount sticking down below the bottom of the hull. At a guess the i12 has about 60mm of the hull in the water when normally loaded. Therefore all up you would need more than 345mm of water to full peddle the standard boat.

Tasman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tasman , isn't it possible to paddle with a restricted stroke , so that you don't need quite as much water ?.
Regards Rob j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rob

No problem for short distances but not something you would want to keep up for very long. Hard on the legs and a sure way to damage the fins when you stuff up. Strictly a short term manoeuvre for me.

Tasman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

For a reasonable short distance (up to a few minutes) I don't see it as a problem -- just a matter of practice. Here an Adventure is being pedaled over about 6" depth with Turbofins without touching. The i-9 with an equally shallow draft should be able to do this also. If you have a minimum of 14", I don't see a problem once you adapt to the technique. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you roadrunner , that sounds GREAT !.
Have a happy New Year , everybody.
Regards Rob J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Hey DDriver. Well great minds think alike! I've been using my i9s for drifting rivers for steelhead and has been awesome. I have an anchor w/ a rope that goes through the eye in the bow handle so I can anchor and fish. When I'm going down river I tuck up the MD fins, pull up the rudder, and use the paddle. It's not worth trying to use it as you'll have close to no control. It's an awesome river yak and have no complaints whatsoever. The stability really lets you think of fishing and forget about dumping, IMO the biggest problem in kayak drift fishing. For any others out there that were thinking of trying to drift fish in their yak, give the inflatables a try. They rock!

Concerning your pics, pull the drive (leash it) and paddle. It's still the best way to get down river.

Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Zeelander.
Over Easter I went fishing on the Fitzroy , and was lamenting not having an i9s.
I was with my son and his partner , watching a bloke on an outback , fishing the river .
They were impressed , and when we came home I was able to show them the Hobie sales catalogue , and yep , its an inflatable for them.
Its just which one , that is the question.
I still haven't got mine , but its getting closer
Regards Rob J.