Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

today during sailing one of the steering lines on my i9s slipped through the hole in the control wheel and disappeared some inches in the channel that leads to the rudder.

Is there any chance or tips to get it out again?

Thanks in advance.

Martin from Germany

Last edited by volando on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a couple of possibilities. There is a small chance you can blow it back out from the other end with compressed air. That would be easy.

Otherwise, if one rudder line is still through on both ends, disconnect that line on the same side the other line is disconnected. Attach a temporary line to it. Pull the temporary line into the tube until one end comes out the other end.

Then connect both original rudder lines to the temporary line and pull them both through the other way. You can tape the lines over any knot to make a streamlined joint that will pull around the curves. If friction is a problem, use silicone spray if necessary. Make sure first that all lines are anchored on the other end. Reconnect both ends of your rudder lines when done.

If both lines are lost in the tube, you might have to look around for a flexible cable (old automotive speedometer cable or bent-shaft weed whacker cable. Making sure it is long enough and clean except for some silicone spray to lower friction, feed the cable in from one end completely through the housing, tie or tape your rudder lines to the cable and withdraw it with the lines attached.

Let us know how it works. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not aware of the tension of those lines, but one way similar to the compressor method is to suck it out. Use something to seal the one end, and with the open end of the channel, just seal a shop vac up to it. May work. That is how we pull ethernet cable, but we use a ball in order to get some more suction power. This method is used to pull line several feet using a string and shop vac.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

success with the temporary line!
The way Roadrunner described it helped me a lot, but it is not the final solution because there are 2 tubes from the control to the rudder.

So I did it like this:
1. I pulled out the steering line completely from the back.
2. I sewed a thin temporary line (sewing silk) to the front end of the steering line (length: some inches more than the steering line).
3. To the front end of the temporary line I knotted and glued the head (2 mm) of a steel pin needle.
4. I inserted the pin head into the tube at the rudder end.
5. I took a small magnet and moved the pin through the tube.
6. For the last two inches I had to use a small wire to pull it out of the tube.
7. I pulled the steering line trough the tube with the temporary line.

Maybe this helps somebody with similar problems.

Thanks to all
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ingenious with the magnet. Glad ya got it :D