Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deeper trolling lakes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey thanks all, just picked up the inflatable is-12, last week couldn't use it out on Lake Don Pedro, Ca (knee injury :( ). But knee is getting better. I enjoy fishing Lake Tahoe. If you're fishing for Mackinaw,or Browns in the summer that will require some depth. I've looked at release clips, and various methods of getting down deeper. I'd like the capability to get to 200 feet. I can with 150 braid on the Scotty Lake Troller.

Here's the 64K question. Will the hobie mount, i purchased for the Scotty Rod Holder (the lake troller fits that mount :) ) stand up to a 3 or 4 pound ball hanging down by the braid on a troll?

I've emailed Hobie on the contact email on this, but thought i'd throw it out to anyone that does any deeper lake trolling on an inflatable.

Thanks for any info on this. Btw, i have other ideas i've seen on forums, old tuna rod shortened up, with a roller guide tip and a 2-3 pound ball, etc.

Thanks

Beachpotato Dave in San Jose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's up, Dave? Thanks for the post, sorry for the late reply. I would say you would want to stay away from hanging heavy weights like that from the Hobie Accessory mount. The drag behind the boat will cause it to twist and I would be hesitant to even get a hit, let alone a nice little snag.

My two pennies. Feel free to try it out, but would hate to see a photo of your new baby with a patch job.

-Dave

Proud owner of a strictly for-fishing i12s