Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I seat in the I14 back seat (I weigh 250lb) and I am getting a wet bottom. The water seems to be coming in from the back. I have pumped up the chambers as hard as I dare. Am I doing something wrong?

Any ideas? I saw someone using a chair on 2by4s as a way to bring the seat up.

Also is there a secret to the kayak chairs? No matter how I set it seems to kill my back after awhile. Maybe I need a hard seat. I saw an email using a chair on 2by4s (Ascend chair?). Maybe that's what I need.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FlaDan wrote:
I seat in the I14 back seat (I weigh 250lb) and I am getting a wet bottom. The water seems to be coming in from the back. I have pumped up the chambers as hard as I dare. Am I doing something wrong? You are not doing anything wrong. That is just the way it is with the 14s.

Any ideas? I saw someone using a chair on 2by4s as a way to bring the seat up. This is a good solution for the inflatables. The 14 will remain stable if you raise yourself only 3 to 4 inches... After that it will start to rock.

Also is there a secret to the kayak chairs? No matter how I set it seems to kill my back after awhile. Maybe I need a hard seat. I saw an email using a chair on 2by4s (Ascend chair?). Maybe that's what I need. You are setting it right.. I use a two inch thick throwable seat cushion to add a little extra height to the seat. But then it scoots a little back and forth using the mirage drive. There has to be a way to secure the seat cushion so it will not move. Still have a sore back though. ONe thing to keep the butt dryer would be to not sit in the back seat. Just saying.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have tried with scrubbers in and out. Same each time. Thanks for the replies. At least I know the yak is operating as intended. Thanks for the seat suggestions. I will look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Daft - so you like the inflatable seat over the idea of a hard seat like the abscend?

Could I ask the reason why?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wonder if you could attach a seat to a large piece of plastic, like uhmw poly, maybe 1\4" or 1\2". Sand the edges very good so there's no risk to cutting the tubes. This would evenly distribute your weight and give something to attach the chair to. I have an i14t and after a few times out, I need to find an alternative for comfort and to keep my butt dry. This would add weight, but I'll sacrifice that for comfort.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So Daft,

How do you secure the SeaEagle seat. Does you have a problem with it moving while pedaling? How comfortable is the seat angle for the average overweight fatty and how much of a stability issue do you see? I have the i14T, so with the stock seats, it's amazingly stable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do you keep the seaeagle secure? Does it move when pedaling? How comfortable is the back angle? Do you have any problems with back pain after a while?