Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an i12s and am thoroughly enjoying it. I am using it for fishing in Ft lauderdale Florida. Mainly trolling for tarpon/snook/jack/cuda in the New River, but also for Bass and peacocks in the canals. Eventually I plan to launch from the beach and target Kings, tuna, mahi, etc.

I bought two rod holders and the Hobie Scotty mounts for inflatables. I have glued the mounts on and am ready to mount the rod holders, but I am unsure of what size bolts to use. Can someone who has installed these before point me in the right direction? I don't necessarily need the length as I understand that will vary depending on the type of rod holder, I am just looking for the right diameter and thread count.

Thank you.

P.S. To anyone considering buying the inflatables because of storage issues, Do it. They work very well and move right along in the water. It is sturdy enough to stand in, and is a very dry ride. (I'm 5'11 and weigh ~195) Once these rod holders are in working order, it will be a lean mean fishing machine.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

We specify 1/4-20

7/8" long for the Scotty mount.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Using the Scotty base and the Hobie mount for the Scotty base, you'll use 7/8" long 1/4"x20 bolts. I found 7/8" hard to find at the big box stores, so I ended up using 1" with a lock washer. The biggest thing I can tell you is to get another Hobie mount like the one you've already glued down and screw whatever mount you're using to it without it attached to the yak. That way you can look at it and make sure it doesn't protrude into the kayak. Once it's glued, there's no way to make sure it's not pressing into the kayak, which I'm fairly certain will result in a puncture. Better to be sure beforehand.