Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gregd wrote:
What are the chances of this steering problem effecting these?

I'm guessing near zero, esp if i11s serial number shows mfg date after jan 2016:
https://www.hobiecat.com/articles/boat- ... cation,15/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We recieved our kayaks, a i9 and i12, in late June this yr and I was suprised to see the spectra line steering installed. Sadly the i12's steering is starting to seize up....So after this season is over we will be returning both kayaks for the upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may not have the issue... as I read the announcement only the improvised fix uses stainless steel line because they stick with the original tubes. The better factory solution seems to be new tubes and a compatible formulation of spectra, which Hobie probably can tell if you have from your serial number.

My 2015 i12s (without any recall) took a fair amount of rudder line adjustment at first. It can appear to be jamming, but simple observation can show that tension has drifted out of whack and is intuitively obvious how to fix with a phillips screwdriver. If I get lines equally snug but not high strung tension, and rinse the tube openings with fresh water it becomes as smooth as new and tends to stay that way. I guess it likes countertension from the line not being pulled to operate freely. Also gives you a chance to check the windings around anchor screws... sometimes you may be near some range limit in the up/down function and want to correct line lengths as well as tension.

Spectra keeps getting improved formulations, but in my decade of paragliding I found it quite unstable in length and much preferred kevlar (too brittle for rudder lines tho). In kitesurfing the spectra would also stretch and shrink (supposedly by losing it's prestretch). It mainly seems to a break-in issue with the initial use, and will settle down with less need for attention later. Good to demystify the fancy rudder linkage anyway in case of problem mid-trip, and maybe carry a folding screwdriver onboard. If the lines won't pull at all, you can hand rotate the rudder to position it for diagnosis or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cdnfred wrote:
We recieved our kayaks, a i9 and i12, in late June this yr and I was suprised to see the spectra line steering installed. Sadly the i12's steering is starting to seize up....So after this season is over we will be returning both kayaks for the upgrade.

According to my Hobie dealer, if your steering spectra lines are a darker grey than the rudder up/down lines, you already have the "factory upgrade." The steel wire is the DIY solution, which they'll send you in a kit. Either way I'm careful to fold my kayak w/o "folding" the steering cable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

reason162 wrote:
Either way I'm careful to fold my kayak w/o "folding" the steering cable.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the insight reason162 and daft. I will avoid folding the steering tube going forward.....