Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All winter I've been thrumming with anticipation for the new i11s, gathered all peripherals and I'm a week away from receiving the new kayak.

Few questions remain, namely

1.) what is the recommended post-fishing cleanup for the kayak? I'll be fishing saltwater, and ideally the kayak will live in my car during fishing season. Should I spray it with freshwater before loading it in the car, or can it wait until the next day? I assume it's bad to fold/store the kayak unless it's completely dry?

2.) for the launch: can I load everything onto the kayak and use the i-cart to transport to water's edge? Is there a weight capacity on the cart?

3.) Can I "dry test" the kayak on a carpeted floor, ie inflate, attach the chair and actually sit on it to figure out where I need to attach rod holders/sonar mount, or will this damage the kayak?

4.) finally, I read the other post saying 3-5 psi for the i11s. Is that 3 for the sides and 5 for the middle board, or is it a range of psi? Is there a PSI display on the pump?

Sorry for all the Q's, any input appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the case of my hobie kayak the 3-5 is a range. With my gauge I find the pump hits a noticable step up in resistance at about 3.5psi, then I stroke a couple more times to reach 4. Can go wrong if for example you pump one side up with a strong arm and the other with your weaker arm. My stupid gauge sometimes leaks air so I try to learn for other clues. One boat I have will ring like a drum when I slap it only over 3.5 psi. My i12 doesn't show many wrinkles so maybe I should go by firmness.

I pull out at a dirty saltwater location with no fresh water for rinsing. Well, I have the tail end of my drinking water which I squirt on the few metal fittings, with emphasis on the 3 button springs that hold the paddle together and everywhere the rudder lines enter a tube. Those can seize up in few outings otherwise (you may have different rudder line technology). And the pivot points for rudder... maybe something on seat hardware.

Above all I bring the mirage drive home into my bathroom for a heavy flushing with shower wand. That is expensive, and I have seen a corroded one needing refurbishing. I don't trust stainless steel or aluminum to not corrode, but I don't baby the fabric at all. I just fold up dirty with no problems so far, except last time I noticed puddles of my drink water squirts trying to roll into the open air valves, which I heard is a bad thing. I don't get fish gore on the thing, and either the waves or my efforts may rinse the craft with saltwater mid journey.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply, I'll grab a pressure gauge if the i11s doesn't come with one.

Perhaps a Rinse Kit is in my future, at least I can spray down my rods and key points on the kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe Hobie didn't include a gauge with my kayak because it is forgiving with pressure variations. It is surprisingly easy to well overshoot 5psi, but maybe not a problem. I have many inflatable models which seem to act the same, so I will talk to myself to organize my perceptions:

0->2 psi little resistance as bladder unfolds.
2->3 psi modest resistance as wrinkles vanish
3->3.5 increasing resistance while you take up last of the fabric's elasticity; structure is firm.
3.5 ++ hit a wall of resistance with no more real elasticity. Each difficult stroke can raise the psi by a lot if you are pumping into a small volume. Diminishing returns of rigidity unless you need it for surfing etc. Bladder will ring musically when slapped if it has no filaments or complex shapes.

My higher psi inflatables came with an inline (T junction) pressure gauge which is super convenient for those with a retentive turn of mind. Their adaptor size isn't always compatable with other pumps, but maybe you can find one that fits the pump from your other inflatable.

Maybe Hobie sells a good detachable air gauge. A knobbly one came with another inflatable with the worst human factors ever; it seems to be almost the only model sold on Amazon as well. The way it is angled and rotated you almost always have to read it upside down. The rubber mating ring falls off all the time and no glue seems to stick to it. The set screw has to be backed off to it's max to (sometimes) open the inflatable valve enough to read, and even then it rocks around and can leak mucho air. I think part of the challenge is it maintains compatibility with 2 sizes of valves.

P.S. note to self: I should remember to rinse almost hidden well hardware for anchoring mirage drive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

reason162 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'll grab a pressure gauge if the i11s doesn't come with one.

Perhaps a Rinse Kit is in my future, at least I can spray down my rods and key points on the kayak.

The pump with my i11s does not have a gauge, the pump for my other inflatable kayak does and it connects to the i11s valves for easy pressure check.

For a rinse kit I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with water to rinse everything off before wiping down with a towel to dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dexstrom wrote:
reason162 wrote:

The pump with my i11s does not have a gauge, the pump for my other inflatable kayak does and it connects to the i11s valves for easy pressure check.

For a rinse kit I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with water to rinse everything off before wiping down with a towel to dry.

Hi, do you know the brand/model of your pressure gauge?

I'm looking into the "rinse kit" as a possible solution, though I've used a garden sprayer in the past to good results. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:

I'm looking into the "rinse kit" as a possible solution, though I've used a garden sprayer in the past to good results. Thanks!

The pump is a double action with gauge from Advanced Elements, ~$40 online.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dexstrom wrote:
Quote:

The pump is a double action with gauge from Advanced Elements, ~$40 online.

I'll check it out, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks:

I prefer to have consistent pressure so handling in the water is the same each trip, this makes checking pressure easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dexstrom wrote:
I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks

I'm gonna post the name of that gauge so I can search every couple months for some vendor that doesn't charge a fortune to ship here; none of those free or modest shipping rates claimed on umpteen sites apply to me. AquaGlide Digital HR Pressure Gauge

The good thing about it is the positive twist lock that won't leak air. I hope it's electronics stands up to salt water, because every accessory like pump, bag, etc goes out on the water with me. Another use for such a gauge is to sanity check the pumps with gauge attached. I believe you have to go by the spike of pressure on the downstroke, not the settled down number that appears when you relax pressure and the kayak valve is actually closed and cut off from the pump.

Aquaglide products can be awful to find. I have been trying to get their drop-stitch inflatable wind surfer for over a year. Every vendor will take my money incl a gazillion for shipping, then tries to order from mother Aquaglide only to find it is still unavailable due to mfg glitches.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dexstrom wrote:
I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks:

I prefer to have consistent pressure so handling in the water is the same each trip, this makes checking pressure easy.

Tyvm, I just placed an order.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the rinse kit and wish I didn't spend my money on it. Low capacity and poor water pressure. Your better off with a 2 gallon garden sprayer. If you were near San Diego I would literally give you my rinse kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ddwineguy wrote:
I have the rinse kit and wish I didn't spend my money on it. Low capacity and poor water pressure. Your better off with a 2 gallon garden sprayer. If you were near San Diego I would literally give you my rinse kit.

Excellent info, thanks. Low capacity is a problem, as I plan on rinsing off the yak + hardware + rods/nets etc...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got the i11s today, very stoked!!

After playing with it all day at home...I'm definitely getting an electric pump; that hand pump is for the birds! Anyone have any suggestions on a compatible electric pump for the i hobies?

Another thing: I gave up putting the boat back in the bag. After 30 minutes of struggle, I've decided to just leave it loosely folded and stick it in the back of my car. Any reason why I need to use the bag?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Coleman air pump with battery. You'll need an air valve adapter to attach to a hose to the pump, otherwise it won't work with the kayak valves. I hand pump the two outer chambers and let the electric pump fill the main chamber and finish it with the hand pump. The i11s has the NARU style valves, so get the correct adapter.

I use the bag mostly for protection of the boat from sharp objects and dirt, it should be stored with the valves open and you want to avoid getting dirt or water in the valves or chambers of the boat.