Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dexstrom wrote:
I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks:

I prefer to have consistent pressure so handling in the water is the same each trip, this makes checking pressure easy.

Unfortunately I tried to take a reading today and the gauge does not fit in the Hobie NARU valve! :cry: I'm not sure if it can be modified to fit, will have to contemplate the problem for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arrgh, I had just ordered that gauge with considerable postage. I can still use it on my fleet of halkey valve craft hopefully. I just noticed on amazon you can get analog gauges with all kinds of adaptors for under $12. Mine is adaptable due to the wide gasket, but it's hard to seal. You might break off the lock probes and goop the thing with liquid gasket like I bought at walmart.

I had found that digital gauge on amazon, but they wouldn't ship to my area at any price. The vendor mentioned in this thread also is selling carbon fiber paddles for half price (blemished and closeouts) so I figured I could pay their heavy postage for paddle and gauge. It can be hard to read an analog gauge if the marks are close together and wobbling from attempts to not let the air leak out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got mine last week and tho it doesn't screw on the valve, it does give a reading...you just have to get to eye level to see it.

I thought the 2016 i series has the HR valves?

dexstrom wrote:
dexstrom wrote:
I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks:

I prefer to have consistent pressure so handling in the water is the same each trip, this makes checking pressure easy.

Unfortunately I tried to take a reading today and the gauge does not fit in the Hobie NARU valve! :cry: I'm not sure if it can be modified to fit, will have to contemplate the problem for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I compared that aquaglide digital gauge against my 4 analog ones... it reads 1psi higher than my usual but unloved ashcroft gauge. Then I swapped 3 gauges from pumps and screwed into the aquaglide base/adaptor. They all agreed on a middle point.

So I relegated the pricey digital one to a spare parts box. A nice analog one screws into the digital base (facing up rather than sideways) and gives me a fine compromise. At least for HR valves where it twists in and out without air leakage. More accurate than in-pump gauges which by necessity give different readings on the downstroke vs at rest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

daft wrote:
I compared that aquaglide digital gauge against my 4 analog ones... it reads 1psi higher than my usual but unloved ashcroft gauge. Then I swapped 3 gauges from pumps and screwed into the aquaglide base/adaptor. They all agreed on a middle point.

So I relegated the pricey digital one to a spare parts box. A nice analog one screws into the digital base (facing up rather than sideways) and gives me a fine compromise. At least for HR valves where it twists in and out without air leakage. More accurate than in-pump gauges which by necessity give different readings on the downstroke vs at rest.

I need to find a reliable analog gauge as well.

My newest acquisition is a double-action hand pump (advanced elements), does require a "new short" halkey roberts valve adapter...but man, what a difference it makes. I manage to get the yak up to 5 PSI (according to the digital gauge), w/o having to use the Hobie gun pump at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm puzzled by all the interest here in alternate pumps, including powered. Possibly it is due to obstructed valves which can make pumping lots harder. One third of my inflatable fleet seems to have bad valves and probably needs maintenance rather than alternate pumps that come to mind.

In the low pressure realm, my hobie i12s is a snap to pump. In spite of a pump that doesn't let you put your back into it, it's just pfft, pfft,pfft and it's done. I have a smaller yak that came with a footpump that is pretty effortless to get to 3.5psi (but not higher without distorting the bellows and putting my entire weight on it).

A third craft with huge volume wants to go 3.2psi but even to get to 2psi just kills me over literally hours (including rest time) with a traditional double action lean-over. I bet I could just twirl out the valves and find a manufacturing flaw, but instead of that I got an electric pump. It had a proprietary valve which I had to modify with hacksaw and homemade gasket... what a pain these variations are.

Similarly I have 3 high pressure SUP craft around 16psi, and only one is a killer. I know the valve is highly obstructed because I can't even deflate without laying on it. It doesn't need a fancy pump because it already has best of (manual) breed, and now I can see after talking it thru I need to try and remove that valve. I had a 7th craft where I broke the valve in trying to do maintenance, so have been reluctant.

P.S. I tried a carbon fiber 4 piece paddle for more stiffness, but the only ones on half price sale were 10cm shorter and with skinny shaft. Super light and fairly stiff, but not really worth the money.

P.P.S. Ha-ha, I have a bigger fleet deflated within my humble apartment than Canada has for warships. With the longest coastline in the world, it only has one destroyer and 4 subs (cannot count it's frigates and smaller craft which are deemed not survivable in open ocean war zone). I remember a theme park being praised for having a "bigger sub fleet than Canada", and now can join that one-upsmanship club :D