Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worst Case Scenarios
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Picked up my i11s, and after a few tweaks with filing down the rudder clip and finding a comfortable position to use the hand pump...I'm all set to fish off this thing.

As this is my first inflatable boat...I'm wondering what are some worst-case scenarios that can happen out in the water re hull compromise. I won't use any double-hook rigs, or treble hooks...and obviously won't be bringing a gaff. What's the worst that can happen? I figure with 3 air chambers I can probably limp back to shore no matter what.

Should I always bring the pump with me on the water? What about those instant patch kits (tear aid)?

Post subject: Re: Worst Case Scenarios
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The best thing to do is try it yourself, near the shore. Let out air in one or two of the chambers and see how you do. This exercise will give you a lot of confidence and good experience just in case it actually happens. Whether you carry a pump or not probably depends on how far away you're going. It's bulky and you don't want to loose it. It would only be useful if 1. you have a leak, 2. you are able to successfully repair it in the water, and 3. if you actually need to repair it on the water. With the i-12 I could stay afloat and operate the Drive on any one chamber, but then it has a larger volume per chamber -- also may depend on your weight. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great advice, I will experiment with deflating different chambers in diff configs in the pool (along with practicing self rescue). I don't think I'll be taking the i11 offshore anytime soon, but if I can secure the pump to the boat along with all my fishing stuff...I'll bring it along.

Roadrunner wrote:
The best thing to do is try it yourself, near the shore. Let out air in one or two of the chambers and see how you do. This exercise will give you a lot of confidence and good experience just in case it actually happens. Whether you carry a pump or not probably depends on how far away you're going. It's bulky and you don't want to loose it. It would only be useful if 1. you have a leak, 2. you are able to successfully repair it in the water, and 3. if you actually need to repair it on the water. With the i-12 I could stay afloat and operate the Drive on any one chamber, but then it has a larger volume per chamber -- also may depend on your weight. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you do take the pump with the expectation of using it on the water, your practice will come in handy there too. You have to sit near the inflation valve to use the pump which makes that area low in the water and potentially awash. There is a way you can hook your leg / foot around the inflation area to keep it from giving way while pumping. Experimenting on how best to do that is worth its weight in gold if you ever have to do it! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
If you do take the pump with the expectation of using it on the water, your practice will come in handy there too. You have to sit near the inflation valve to use the pump which makes that area low in the water and potentially awash. There is a way you can hook your leg / foot around the inflation area to keep it from giving way while pumping. Experimenting on how best to do that is worth its weight in gold if you ever have to do it! 8)

I'm feeling sore just thinking about this, but thank you. On my one trip with the yak, I figured out I cannot effectively turn around with the NRS vest on, so I ordered a manual inflatable. I'll also practice self rescue with that thing blown up (reading that it acts like a choke collar and makes reentry more difficult).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi fellas, I got myself a used i14t that suffer some neglect, fixed it, rigged it with a sail (part of the deal), and took it out on the water. I am hooked! Anyway I am taking a pump and tear-aid whenever I'm out. The pump is a huge pain. I am thinking to rig it with a waterproof sleeve and add few bungee cord loops on the front side of the boat opposite the oar. Any thoughts? Am I over worrying?