Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a new i11 owner with a few questions on ownership issues . I purchased my i11 for several reasons not being new to Hobie ownership . Purchased my first Hobie Cat 16 back in the 70's and a Hobie 18 in early 80's . I have been kayaking for sometime now but injured my back in late 2014. Being both an avid fresh water and coastal fisherman getting back on the water was a very important quality of life goal for me . Hence the decision to purchase the Hobie i11 inflatable kayak. Inflated at aproximately 35 lbs less than half my Wilderness Tarpon 120 . Mirage drive system eliminating the need to paddle i.e. ( twisting and turning my compressed disks ) . And, finally the capability to add the evolve powered Torqeedo electric motor . Gosh, I sound like a Hobie sales rep which I am not.

1. First question, any tips on deflating unit and getting to fit properly in carrying case ?
2. Any tips on transporting on Malone craddle car top carriers ? My early experience not able to exceed 40 to 45 mph without significant wind vibration on unit.
3. And, finally are there any Hobie inflatable owners who might have an interest in an occasional meet up to float various water and fish together here in South Central Texas ?

RjHobiei11 new owner
New Braunfels, Texas

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I deflate the main chamber with the electric pump in reverse, pulls all the air out for easier folding and stuffing in the bag. The side chambers deflate easily on their own. Getting the four corners into the bag first helps with the carrying case.

I wouldn't think it's good for the boat to try and haul it on top of a car while inflated. Sure to do some damage from wind blast at speeds over 10 mph.

Daniel

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I and others have not bothered to put the boat in the bag every trip; just fold it over thrice and pop it in your trunk/cargo area. Another member here deflates the side tubes, and just enough of the center chamber to fold in half.

Personally I'd like to see a bag that opens up completely flat. The couple of times I tried cramming the i11s back into the bag was a major pain.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey y'all
Thank you for the feed back . I purchased the Bravo Electric 12v from ACK today . I will only be car topping on a need basis at reduced speed for sure .
Rj

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey y'all
Thank you for the feed back . I purchased the Bravo Electric 12v from ACK today . I will only be car topping on a need basis at reduced speed for sure .
Rj