Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

let's face it, heat and sun are the enemy of PVC and glue, it's a tradeoff. The convenience of a fold and stow boat will be traded off by lack of longevity. My 2011 requires constant maintenance, all glued fittings are popping off and many seams are failing. I think storing it inflated in a cool environment out of the sun is the best solution but difficult to do. I like mine for the convenience of having in an RV while traveling, folded up in the basement ready to explore wherever I go. If you buy this kayak, be ready to maintain it, like any pvc craft, it will require it! That said, I knew this going in, and still really like it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine is stored in a cool basement, slightly inflated. Also applying UV protectant once a month or so. Is there anything else I should be doing to maintain the boat?

gatorb8 wrote:
let's face it, heat and sun are the enemy of PVC and glue, it's a tradeoff. The convenience of a fold and stow boat will be traded off by lack of longevity. My 2011 requires constant maintenance, all glued fittings are popping off and many seams are failing. I think storing it inflated in a cool environment out of the sun is the best solution but difficult to do. I like mine for the convenience of having in an RV while traveling, folded up in the basement ready to explore wherever I go. If you buy this kayak, be ready to maintain it, like any pvc craft, it will require it! That said, I knew this going in, and still really like it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@reason
I can't think of anything else, good luck with it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

arrgg! took my 4 year old inflatable out today and it blew an internal seam. This is the second time an internal seam let go. I'll post up pics of the repair process in my other thread. Inflatable is wearing me thin.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a Starboard WindSUP which turned 4 years old this summer and blew out the mast step area. It was in the water, but fortunately tied dockside in shallow water, and we were present when it happened. Very glad it didn't happen several miles out on the lake. It seems like 4 years is about the life span of the adhesives used on these inflatables, and the problem doesn't seem unique to Hobie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

catskyer wrote:
Very glad it didn't happen several miles out on the lake.

I was thinking the same thing! Mine released it's air very quickly but fortunately it was only into the bilge cavity which will hold low pressure air for emergency return to land.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

catskyer wrote:
It seems like 4 years is about the life span of the adhesives used on these inflatables, and the problem doesn't seem unique to Hobie.

Do I nooo want to hear that! :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello everyone, I am considering an inflatable, mostly due to ease of transport, and was wondering if Hobie has made improvements to the 2017 models? After reading some of your posts in this thread, I'm second guessing the inflatable choice.

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

daft wrote:
SSgt93 wrote:
After reading some of your posts in this thread, I'm second guessing the inflatable choice.

My i12s has had no problems over 2 years (year round; I am about to use it in half an hour). That is except early on my mirage drive enlarged it's shaft anchor points, probably from my sprint experiments pedaling absurdly hard. To prevent the drive from popping out I just glue in spacers to close the gap.

I have 9 inflatable watercraft (one more on the way), and no trouble with any except for a valve on a cheapo Airhead model. Some say valves are the most typical fail point for an inflatable but you can normally screw in a new valve (couldn't for the Airhead).

Thank you for the response Daft. I'm very interested as the whole roof rack and weight ordeal doesn't sound appealing. I had a total shoulder replacement a few years ago so my strength is limited. I think this is the way to go.