Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

last week went up to a friend's mountain house, we brought our above water inflatable pool, forgot the pump. Found a leaf blower and used that to pump it up. Wonder if that works for kayaks. HAHA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

idonntnoe wrote:
Found a leaf blower and used that to pump it up.

Normally turbine pumps can barely reach 2psi, and require topping off to 3 or 4psi by some other means. I forgot that this shortcoming applied to the Kayacat turbine pump with builtin battery that I ordered. Meanwhile I am having a horrible time evaluating whether I have to again return my $150 combo pump from Bravo due to inaccurate sensor. I suggest the original person who reviewed this check with an independent gauge to see if it is only half filling his i14t.

Problem 1 is the (feeble sounding) turbine cuts out after a few seconds unless the airhose is unhooked. Problem 2 is the auto shutoff of the (apocalyptic sounding) piston pump comes about 1psi too soon according to its gauge. I can't just dial it up an extra psi because problem 3 is it's gauge furthermore seems to erratically read another 1-2psi too high depending on the boat valve (I think it builds backpressure against the valve constriction due to it's power). Problem 4 is unlike the Sevlor, the gauge cuts out when the pump does, so you can't get an at-rest reading but just the one which may be an artificial spike. So a standard 3.7psi target may only give 1.7psi fill checked by an independent gauge. My last test will be to run it on a hull (none of these were Hobie) that my old Bravo with piston only checked out as dead accurate on. If it works OK there then maybe an exchanged model would work no different and it is a design flaw. Oh, problem 5 is the only Halkey adaptor sold by West Marine requires a huge extra gasket for some boats.

So I think for most kayak folks the Sevlor would be a good compromise. Its power draw is low enough to use a cig lighter outlet rather than alligator clips. It's pressure gauge doesn't switch off when the motor quits, although it is hard to read in the sunlight. Its piston pump can give high enough pressure to finish the job alone. It isn't as loud or slow as some of the competition, and may not be overpowered enough to get those false surge readings.

Independent gauges can generally be trusted, unless they bleed a lot of air when being removed. However It is clear to me that pump mounted gauges can have high error because they measure "hose pressure" rather than hull pressure. I can tell with a manual pump that there can be a 20% boost in pressure on the downstroke vs at resting state. I think resting state is closest to hull pressure, although maybe a bit below if the hull valve closes and the hose leaks a bit. On downstroke the gauge pressure goes artificially up when the valve constriction gives backpressure - like 4psi difference on my SUP with a balky valve. All this can also apply to an electric pump with inline gauge, if you confirm with an independent gauge after purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To be fair, my new exchanged Bravo turbine/piston pump is wonderful. It no longer quits the turbine early, or the piston for that matter. Its gauge tests dead accurate, as does its auto cutoff. The gauge doesn't fall to zero after the pump stops. You no longer have to buy a halkey adapter, but it will handle long or short. It was made this year vs my lemon one was made last year. Tie the spare halkey gasket spacer ring somewhere; the one for my Bravo adaptable gauge flew away in a 20kt wind,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Further observations: Unlike the Sevylor, the Bravo BTP (or whatever it's rebranded to, with the same weird shape) will also let you suck air out of the hull for most compact storage. My Sevylor will no longer stop at the psi level I preset, so has to be watched.