Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i11s questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Due to storage limitations, I am thinking about purchasing a i11s and have a few questions that hopefully you guys/gals can help me with.

1. Is it ok to store it folded up in the garage in Florida or would I be better off trying to find a place inside? If inside, can anybody give me a comparison/dimensions to how big the bag is (suitcase size maybe)?
2. I have a 4 year old son. Any way for him to sit behind me? I have an inflatable paddleboard now that he sits on the front while I paddle. Thinking of getting rid of that and purchasing the Hobie so we can cover some more distance with the mirage drive. I am 6' and weigh about 185. He currently weighs about 40.
3. How hard is it to actually pump up by hand? I feel like I ran a marathon when I do the paddleboard by hand, but it is much higher PSI.

I’m sure there will be other questions as I look more into this. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Post subject: Re: i11s questions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

inflating an i11s with the Hobie supplied manual pump is quick and easy. It is really fast if you are transporting it just folded in half in the back of a van or SUV because the center chamber is still about half full of air...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I inflate the main chamber with a Coleman cordless electric pump, while I fill the two side chambers by hand. In the time it takes me to inflate the two sides, the main is inflated. I do a couple of hand pumps to the main to top it off. Takes half the time to inflate the whole thing than if I do all by hand. The Coleman will inflate the main 3 times on each charge, no wires to hook up at the water just recharge at home between each trip.

To deflate I open the valves and then use the electric pump to suck the main chamber flat for packing in the bag. Makes it nice and flat to stow in the bag. I store the bag in a cool back room so can't comment on storing it in hot outdoor conditions. I wouldn't leave it in the sunlight but in a shaded carport might be OK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

daft wrote:
I'm puzzled about why some i11s owners decide to use an electric pump...

I don't see why you are puzzled. The Sevylor plugs into car cigarette socket, takes about 7 minutes to fill all 3 chambers. During that time, I am mounting my rod holders to the cooler, tying up my rigs, checking VHF, etc. When it's 95 degrees out, I'm not sweating before I even hit the water, and not wasting time pumping when I can be setting up my boat for fishing. I can see if you're not fishing, it might be superfluous...but I would argue hands free pumping is superior under any circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:
daft wrote:
I'm puzzled about why some i11s owners decide to use an electric pump...

I don't see why you are puzzled. The Sevylor plugs into car cigarette socket, takes about 7 minutes to fill all 3 chambers. During that time, I am mounting my rod holders to the cooler, tying up my rigs, checking VHF, etc. When it's 95 degrees out, I'm not sweating before I even hit the water, and not wasting time pumping when I can be setting up my boat for fishing. I can see if you're not fishing, it might be superfluous...but I would argue hands free pumping is superior under any circumstances.

I GoPro'ed myself pumping up my i11s with the Hobie manual pump and installing the seat, drive, BlackPac box, and paddle, here is the time-lapse youtube of it:

https://youtu.be/aisnSD_E87E

at the end, you see me check my phone and hold up my hand indicating 5 minutes. I didn't really try to do it fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

daft wrote:
well I will stop there.

The Sevylor is a no brainer for me, but hey: different strokes. Just wanted to solve your puzzle re my own experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
I GoPro'ed myself pumping up my i11s with the Hobie manual pump and installing the seat, drive, BlackPac box, and paddle, here is the time-lapse youtube of it:

https://youtu.be/aisnSD_E87E

at the end, you see me check my phone and hold up my hand indicating 5 minutes. I didn't really try to do it fast.

I've watched that video Roger, and I envy your upper body strength. It's impossible for me to get the center chamber over 5psi without using my body weight to push into the pump, let alone having it suspended off the ground. I also deflate completely when folding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

daft wrote:
reason162 wrote:
It's impossible for me to get the center chamber over 5psi without using my body weight to push into the pump, let alone having it suspended off the ground.

Maybe that's your problem; shouldn't your target be 4psi? It used to be explicit in the manual the following:

mmiller wrote:
Firm, Remove wrinkles... 3-5 lbs.

I think they have removed that in new manual for that vague wrinkle stuff. I had a SUP rated for 3psi in the outside and a 15psi center spine, but I don't think the Hobie bladders or pump is designed for that.

I find the Hobie pump to be self limiting with regard to pressure, once it gets high enough, some air leaks during a pump where the tip is in the kayak valve and at that point the chambers, center and side, are plenty full IMO. I hold the pump down firmly but certainly don't put my weight on it to try and force more air in...roger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
I find the Hobie pump to be self limiting with regard to pressure, once it gets high enough, some air leaks during a pump where the tip is in the kayak valve and at that point the chambers, center and side, are plenty full IMO. I hold the pump down firmly but certainly don't put my weight on it to try and force more air in...roger

Have you ever gauged after pumping up? Just curious as to what kind of reading you get when you stop pumping. With my gauge, at the point where I don't have to lean into the pump it's barely getting over 3 psi. Of course, my gauge could be giving me a false reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:
rogerdodger wrote:

Have you ever gauged after pumping up? Just curious as to what kind of reading you get when you stop pumping. With my gauge, at the point where I don't have to lean into the pump it's barely getting over 3 psi. Of course, my gauge could be giving me a false reading.

nope, I don't have a gauge that fits these valves. I judge it is full enough based on feel and also that I can walk around on the deck out on the water. cheers, roger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
nope, I don't have a gauge that fits these valves. I judge it is full enough based on feel and also that I can walk around on the deck out on the water. cheers, roger

Copy roger. Last couple of trips I experimented with lower PSI, 3.5 and 4.5...Definitely did not like the performance in the 3's, mid 4 to 5 is what I prefer for the middle chamber. I generally go 1 PSI lower for the side chambers, and that works out well for the kind of fishing I do. 90% of the time I position myself sideways to the wind and drift while casting light jigs up current; slightly lower side chamber psi seems to cushion me better against chop. Thanks for your response.